Sunday, April 23, 2023

coffee at hy-vee

 i picked up a rental car this morning and drove to central iowa for the weekend. when i arrived it was to see a classmate and we had coffee at the hy-vee in my hometown of newton, iowa. some of the subjects discussed, such as my line of work, sports, or movies, were more pleasant than others. i went to the dairy queen after it and had a vanilla cone. then i walked around the grounds of emerson hough school, my inspiration as a writer. then it was on to my hotel. after i checked in i let my college roommate know, no response, but i am aware he was working on his house this weekend. so i went to eat at the nearby kentucky fried chicken. after watching some TV and part of the movie 'the jazz singer' (from 1927), i was getting antsy and knew i needed to go sing karaoke. i chose sheryl crow's 'if it makes you happy'. it was a callback to three weeks ago when i was documenting a friend's show. before me i liked hearing 'la bamba'. after me i liked seeing the jockey do 'let's get it on'. and somebody did 'whoomp there it is'. then it was back to my hotel where i wrote another edition about my travels while drinking a beer, a coors. i picked up 65 cents while waiting for the bus that took me to the car rental place.

No comments:

Post a Comment