Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Me, Giddy?

I got my entry back from a writing contest earlier today, made me feel good. One of the 3 judges really liked reading it, gave me high scores. Had to find and reread what I wrote, 3 poems in all. It still feels magical to me to read what I write. One was about doing open-mic comedy, another was about getting dumped, and the third was about movies. Kind of odd how one said I sounded 'giddy' when I ended the comedian poem, didn't know I could be when I'm usually dour like Bob Newhart. Best game plan is to enter contests with less competition, as the cover page said there were over 1,000 entries. I prefer it when I'm not a longshot.
   When I was trying to find the writings I found one from two years earlier that made me cry. It was one that I wrote to a dear friend of mine after a visit in Chicago. I found a movie analogy that helped me say what I wanted to, from 'Wizard of Oz'. I said I was a Tin Man and she was Dorothy, using the oil can on me when I was rusty. I called her a traveling chum and enabler. Now I've had to stop again after rereading it as I was crying again. I am still very thankful that she befriended me, as she is a wonderful, positive influence on me. Friends like these are rare in life, and it has inspired me to chase some dreams that I wouldn't have otherwise I'm sure. I liked how she only saw what I could do instead of what I said I hadn't done in life- yet. Much like my former boss and mentor, she was patient with me and knew to ignore things I didn't mean to say. Both are still unconscious influences in my everyday life, as it's hard to forget those who won't give up on you. It's too easy to remember the bad things and bad people in life, we should do our best to hold on to the good as much as we can.
     I don't write about my work that often, as there are other things going on in my life besides just my line of work. One colleague of mine is quitting soon. I hate to say it, but I won't miss them as they were my nemesis. They were constantly trying to find fault with me and I just got tired of dealing with somebody who was so nit-picky. I once told my boss how nobody would want to work with me if I was this nit-picky and touchy about everything. Who would? 
    Going to the comedy club tonight was fine, one of my friends was in the contest but didn't win. I was rooting for him as much as I could. Another friend was at the same table as me with his date and said he would like tickets for when I am in a contest next week. I said I can do that, as I can't do enough for friends. I like how he's honest, but fair, with me when he reviews my stage time. He has told me to avoid stepping on jokes, let the crowd enjoy it. As I get better at comedy I think it's easier to do, as I'm not as afraid of forgetting what I want to say. I need a break every so often anyway. Balance is the key.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete