Friday, April 8, 2011

Maytag Bowl

I've often said recently how my hometown of Newton,Iowa is a big memorial to Maytag and Emerson Hough. I was searching online articles and found out the Maytag Bowl, inside the park-and next to the pool- of the same name, has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was designated in late 2010. It is relevant to me and many others in Newton as the high school graduations are held there, weather permitting of course. The pool was one place where I learned to swim. So now the park and bowl has something in common with Emerson Hough School. According to the article the historic designation was done in hopes of getting funding to renovate it. When searching I found out there was an article that mentioned Emerson Hough was superintendent at Yellowstone Park, I had known he was a catalyst behind the law protecting buffalo there. Something about the clacking typewriter and smoking. I don't think I have written about Hough often enough recently. I did mention him in one of my jokes ontage, how we went to the same college, and how he described his university education as 'perfectly good and perfectly worthless'. 
    I was tired after work tonight, had hoped to get my car out of the shop but didn't make it in time as it closed at 6 p.m. So it means trying again in the morning. After that I went over to the Best Buy near there to pay on my account, spoke of how it was frustrating to be unable to get my rewards account registered after a recent purchase of a digital camera. Spoke on the phone with somebody who used the f-bomb to describe himself, saying he was old, and still unable to register it. Then I went home and tried it by myself, after a few tries I realized that I hadn't tried the zip code of my previous residence when needing to enter a code like when on the Ticketmaster site. Tried the old zip code and it worked on the first try! I've heard the quote before about how there's nothing more maddening then continuing to try something that doesn't work. It sure describes what I was doing. You'd think I wouldn't have to update it separately with them when the account statement address had been changed already. I got caught up on record-keeping for the checking account as well, need to enter the debit-card receipts regularly. Once a week is best but I haven't been keeping to this routine well enough and need to try harder.
   At work it was the last day for a few people, bagels were there, I had 2. There was also some popcorn for the Twins home opener, but I was late on taking lunch, not until 1 p.m., that I missed out. no big deal to me. I was wearing my Twins jersey I've had since high school. Bought a Twins shirt from a skyway sportswear shop for $10, so now I have 2 shirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment