Tuesday, January 16, 2018

cranberries music

i saw an article that said the music of the cranberries, an irish band, has been selling well since the death of frontwoman Dolores o'riordan this week. it comes as no surprise as this has happened when other musicians have died. i understand some of the music by Prince did well on I-tunes shortly after he died. I recalled an article i read while at college in Iowa City that covered this subject. There was a quote saying 'death sells'. how many musicians become more popular posthumously. Even Elvis Presley music has sold better after his death. He was one of a few profiled in the article, along with those from the 'stupid club' as the mother of Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain called it. This would include Morrison, Hendrix, and Joplin. It said the only number one hit by Janis Joplin was 'me and Bobby McGee', released after her death.
   this recent news reminded me of seeing the Cranberries in concert in Moline, IL, many years ago. i attended the show with my college roommate, and it was just an hour from iowa city. Cracker was the opening act, I liked hearing them play 'Low' and recall a man writing down the songs being played on a piece of cardboard. i have some of the headliner's CDs, i have 'no need to argue' and 'to the faithful departed'. the former has 'zombie' on it and the latter has 'salvation' on it. i recall playing 'ode to my family' often after my grandma died in 2008, it helped me get through that time. 'ode' is on 'argue'. i also like 'when you're gone' which is on 'departed'. it was hard to read about her troubles, battling depression and substance abuse, but i know this is common with performers.
   i performed at 2 different venues tonight. it went well. i did talk about how an interview scheduled for today was postponed, was informed that one of the interviewers was ill. so it is now two days later. i was getting ready for it when i checked my email and saw this message. i didn't know what to do to fill in the time, so i slept for a while. in the morning there was a seminar, but it didn't last long as there was less than 10 people signed up. so i asked for help on preparing for the interview. although I didn't know at the time that my interview was being postponed. but it was still helpful to have somebody listen to my strategy for it. i would like to think i am doing all of the right things, as i know i am preparing way better than i have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment