Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pink (or P!nk) Concert

   I went to the Pink concert at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul tonight. Good show all around, heard most of the songs I had hoped to hear. There were a few not played but I know that the purpose of a tour is to promote the new album. One of these was 'Get This Party Started', a reminder of attending Chicago Wolves hockey games when living in that area.
  I had to get used to seeing a ringmaster, but it worked for me after a while. He was helpful for comic relief and for the transitions. I recognized most songs and did my best to write them down on an index card. I did get a souvenir, a program, much like at the Lady Gaga show at the same venue more than two years ago.
  There were plenty of shirts available at the show, but I know those have a limited shelf life so I rarely get them. I like programs as I like having something to read. It of course is mostly pictures, but I did like seeing the comic book glued to a page in the middle. It says 'The Truth About Love'- the name of the tour- and P!nk Comics on the cover. I've kept the comic book inside the plastic but may read it at some point.
  My seat at the show was in the first row in the upper deck, straight back from the stage and with a good view of one of the monitors on the side of the stage. I was at the end of the row so it was annoying to let people out all the time. I did hear before attending this show how she's already booked a return visit to the area, early November at the Target Center in Minneapolis. But I won't be going to that one. I've seen some musicians more than once before, but not on the same tour. After the show I said her performance in my book is rivaled only by Lady Gaga's.
    The opening song was 'Raise Your Glass'. This is from the one CD of Pink's that I don't have- Greatest Hits, with a few new songs on it. I have the six studio CDs. When I was writing down songs on the index card in the dark I knew it may not be legible. In some cases I wrote down the most memorable lyric if I didn't know the song title, but I knew most of the song titles played. She did do a Chris Isaak cover, 'Wicked Game'. I knew it as the slow one that speaks of falling in love. 'Family Portrait' was one I could relate to, being from a broken family. When introducing 'How Come You're Not Here' she said she plays it as her husband is PO'd when hearing it. The clean version of 'Perfect' was played. The final song was 'Glitter in the Air'. During the two encore songs she swung through the air above the crowd while harnessed. As expected, it was therapeutic to be there. I did scream my approval after certain songs were finished. What I like about concerts- and football games- is that one can yell and scream as much as you want. Nobody cares as most everyone else is doing the same thing. While riding the bus home I was surprised to see an older couple on the bus saying they had just been to the show. Some concert reviewers did note how there was a wide variety of ages in the crowd, apparently from 10 to 60. This is likely due to liking Pink for being an empowered woman. The older couple said they had been to her show in Dallas. I didn't see much of the opening act, City and Colour, which is typical at concerts as I am mainly there for the headliner.

No comments:

Post a Comment