Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Somerset Maugham

    Tonight I was going through a catalog of books that had been mailed to me recently. I wanted to look through the entire catalog before destroying it. I had to look up one of the writers mentioned, it was Somerset Maugham. By pure coincidence I'm sure, I found out it was the author of 'Razor's Edge'. I knew the movie version was available at the library, starring Bill Murray, but haven't seen it yet. I don't plan on ordering any of the books or videos as usual but there is some knowledge to be gained from reading the listings. I'm keeping three pages for this reason, and I've done this before. I have them in an envelope that includes a catalog from the History Book Club, which I did order books from. It may have been how I ended up on their mailing list.
   At the comedy club tonight, I did go onstage and it went well telling more new jokes. This time it was about the crazies on the bus. Besides the grouchy woman, who I saw this morning, there was another older woman in the evening who kept saying 'National security, national security'. She had a hoodie on and a doily for a scarf. She was behind me on the bus by a row or so, and due to this I heard her rantings well, like it or not. One was about George Bush, another was about how New York City didn't do this. And how to pick their czar, but Gorbachev wasn't a czar. And he she can't discuss national security in libraries. Even something about the Catholic Church. The joke I had was how I've seen crazies before on the bus, and they either are crazy or just want people to think they are so other leave them alone. Either way, I don't bother to ask them. This includes somebody who talks to themself, saying 'what' and 'so what'.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment