Friday, March 22, 2013

Texas Longhorns Baseball

    After work I went over to the Metrodome to see a college baseball game. It was the Minnesota Gophers against the Texas Longhorns. I knew plenty of notable players were Longhorns, including Twins manager Ron Gardenhire. Since I haven't been to the College World Series in Omaha since 2010 I wanted to take advantage of the chance to see some top-notch baseball. The Gophers won 5-1, after leading 5-0 through two innings. The attendance was what I expected, sadly, as it was just over 400. College baseball doesn't interest most people. Weather makes a difference in the North. But it also has to compete with professional (major and minor league) baseball as well.
   The Gopher pitcher, Tom Windle, threw a complete game. He had plenty of strikeouts, according to my scorecard it was 12. There was an interview included saying he had just pitched a complete game no-hitter against Western Illinois, the first by a Gopher since 1931. The Longhorn fans started out with doing 'I've Been Working on the Railroad' and then were drowned out by the Gopher fight song, where they spell out 'Minnesota'. During the game there was an announcement about the Gopher women's hockey team winning 3-2 against Boston College, in overtime, in the national tournament.
   There were plenty of other things I wrote down on my scorecard. One thing was 'Showing bunt, nobody on'. I thought to myself- 'Really? it's early in the game'. Another was 'Give it to a kid' when somebody kept a foul ball. Annoucements are made encouraging fans to return foul balls. On another foul ball, I said 'What are the odds? right in the drink holder.' And of course the music. There was 'Dynamite' by Taio Cruz. I like it as it speaks of being the last one standing. I recognized the lyrics that said 'Cadillac, horns on the hood' and found out it was 'Barefoot Bluejean Night' by Jake Owen. Seemed appropriate when playing the Texas Longhorns. During a conference on the mound, it was 'Little Less Conversation' by Elvis Presley, which was funny on some level to me. Enjoyed hearing 'Raise Your Glass' by Pink as I had just seen her concert this week. BTO's 'Taking Care of Business' was another one I recognized, along with 'Use Your Love' by Outfield and 'Running Down a Dream' by Tom Petty. Another country song I didn't recognize was played, I heard the lyric 'Funny how a melody sounds like a memory' and found out it was 'Springsteen' by Eric Church. When I often connect memories with music of course this lyric resonates with me.
   Before the game I got pictures around the Dome of banners that displayed various events held there like the 'Rollerdome'. For those who know me it comes as no surprise that I went over to Bobby and Steve's to get some Godfather's Pizza, a pepperoni. I got a drink in a bottle called 'Fentimans' but it didn't taste that great to me, may be an acquired taste. There's a dog on the bottlecap, possibly a Huskie or Alaskan. Even saw some young men skateboarding near the Dome. It doesn't bother me any to see this, as I think of the Gus Van Sant movie 'Paranoid Park' which was about skateboarders.
   After the game I rode the light rail to the airport, and met a couple who was visiting from Texas, of course rooting for the Longhorns. They spoke of how Austin, where the campus is located, hasn't had light rail for long. Shortly after getting on at the Dome we had to transfer to a shuttle bus as there was an 'incident on the track'. My guess was somebody committed suicide, according to their smartphone it was somebody's car that hit a train, so close enough. They were riding until the Mall of America, so I got off before them. I said 'Good luck to you both'. It sounded like they were attending all three games this weekend. I saw my plans and said just the first game fit my schedule.
  At work I had to deal with copiers breaking down, hard to do some kinds of work without them. At lunchtime I got plenty of pictures at the Hamm's (beer) Building as this is the last day their post office is open before it is merged with another one. I did get some stamps as I liked the art on them. After the game I liked seeing the song 'Walking in Memphis' being performed on Jay Leno, by the in-house band. It prompted me to find the song on Youtube, as it was a fond reminder of visiting my college roommate in Memphis in 2008. On ABC's 'Nightline' show the opening feature was about 'Glock' guns, a popular weapon.

No comments:

Post a Comment