Thursday, May 9, 2013

Bane Of The Carriage

   After watching the prime time episode of  'Big Bang Theory' tonight I decided to read more from the papers. I finished another Friday edition so now I've read through the end of April. I liked reading the funny columnist in the Minneapolis paper as usual, as this time he wrote about potholes on the road. He decided to use a different pronunciation of the word, saying 'Poh-tho-lay', claiming it is French for 'Bane of the carriage'. There was something about email alerts when potholes are reported. There was also a joke about E-bay, thinking he was bidding on something on that site. But it was to have the sidewalk shoveled.
   On the front page was a photo of the dedication of Bush 43's Presidential library, attended by all of the living presidents, current or former. The political cartoon was also about it, as it had his VP, Dick Cheney, urging somebody to talk- in contrast to a typical library where they ask you not to. Plenty of writeups in the sports page about the NFL draft, and the NHL regular season was wrapping up while the NBA was already having playoff games. The movie 'Mud', starring Matthew McConaughey, had just premiered. Still would like to see it, I respond well to good writing and the movie critic rated it well. Advice columnist Carolyn Hax printed a letter titled 'Daughter, 27, wants out of marriage'. It was from her parents, and she said she answers with misgivings as it's not your problem to solve. In the business section a billionaire investor bought a nearly 8 percent stake in retailer JC Penney. There was an article about 'New signs of life arise in Las Vegas'. Haven't been there yet. In politics, the state legislature voted on the 'Practice Freeway' on 35E in St. Paul, I've driven on this before- speed limit is 45 mph.
   I did watch two episodes of 'Big Bang Theory' tonight. The syndicated rerun was one I had seen before, where Leonard was going to have his first-ever birthday party and Howard has an allergic reaction to peanuts on purpose so he has to go to the ER to stall for time. The prime time episode was about the group spending time apart for a while, separated by gender. Raj had another date, but she bailed again even though Raj still likes her. Amy Farrah Fowler wanted to be more intimate with Sheldon, and said this near the end of the show as she felt like the relationship was treated like a joke by the others. In many ways this episode was a letdown from last week, when I liked seeing Bob Newhart guest star. I should have expected it since few episodes had been more highly anticipated by me than last week's. I was a little preoccupied as well, rearranging postcards in some of my albums. Even though the postcards weren't going anywhere.
   After reading the paper I decided to go out to the McDonald's and have a shamrock shake as the sign from the road said they have them. I'm surprised they do since it's no longer March, I'm used to them being a seasonal thing around St. Patrick's Day. I did check to see what was available at Redbox but didn't rent anything just yet.   

No comments:

Post a Comment