Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Mid-Iowa Baseball Cards

   After discovering how one E-bay seller had some Topps trading cards of non-baseball players like Presidents I decided to go through my box of cards to see what was there. Notable was the hard plastic case of cards I won at an Iowa Cub game as a youngster, the address label was still on it. These were from Mid-Iowa Baseball Cards in Des Moines. It was one of the few times I could recall winning anything with my lucky number scorecard, along with a six-pack of Pork and Beans one time. The infielders were even known as the 'Pork and Beaners' due to this.
   Also notable was some cards from the History Channel Club, of which I was a member at one point. There were six, along with coins. There was Union and Confederate battle flags, the flag raising at Iwo Jima, the Liberty Bell, the Betsy Ross flag, the B-17 bomber, and the Sherman tank. Some were given to me, like at the Minnesota Twins Fan Fest, others were game night giveaways for the Iowa Cubs, Minnesota Gopher hockey, and the St. Paul Saints. There were some that came out of cereal boxes, and there was the order for 'a thousand unsearched baseball cards' from when I took calls for a shopping catalog. That box had various card companies in it, besides Topps (the best known) there was Donruss, Fleer, Score, and Upper Deck. This also seemed to be true for smaller cases I had bought at Walgreen, but I haven't opened them yet.
   At the comedy club tonight I did go onstage, was third in the lineup. I did do a joke about what I was finding on E-bay, along with recently having to move things for an exterminator. I even got some laughs shortly after taking the stage and before telling any jokes. But for whatever reason, I have known this to be typical.

No comments:

Post a Comment