Friday, March 4, 2011

REM on Nightline

I like the 'playlist' segment on 'Nightline' on ABC. Tonight it was REM frontman Michael Stipe. One of the songs he mentioned was 'Michelle' by the Beatles, another was 'Frankenstein' by NY Dolls, a band that one of my comedian friends has mentioned on Facebook. I had seen REM in concert when I lived in suburban Chicago, at an outdoor venue. Hard to say what song of theirs is my favorite, it may be 'Driver 8' as it is about railroads. My dad gave me a love of railroads, since he is knowledgeable about it. 'What's the Frequency Kenneth' would be another. The former was on a greatest hits CD I found at a secondhand store when I was back in Des Moines to visit family. The latter is on 'Monster', a CD I've had much longer.
   I mostly stayed in tonight and get caught up on record keeping. I did go out to the Taco Bell and used another one of those coupons, number 14. No receipt again, had to sign the one they kept though. Then I got a candy bar at a Family Dollar store nearby. Also did a review of the Wolves basketball game I attended a week ago on a date, since it was a Ticketmaster review. I had done 10 of those previously, and apparently it doesn't take much to be a top contributor, as it puts me in the top 250. But why not? I like having writing opportunities.
  Picked up another box of Girl Scout cookies at lunchtime today, tagalongs again since they were sold out of dosidos. Went to a Tea Garden location, as it was the last day to be open. The other 5 locations will stay open. Hadn't been there much aside from when I wanted to use a gift card I was given at work. The drink I had was some tea called a 'Hawaiian princess'.
   I still think of Emerson Hough fairly often, for various reasons. Like how it's the name I wrote on a new backpack, or how I plan on going on a snowshoe hike this weekend through the Sierra Club much like he did in Yellowstone. His advocacy led to a law passed by Congress to protect the buffalo at Yellowstone Park. Or of course whenever there is mention of Theodore Roosevelt or Woodrow Wilson, since he dedicated books to both. Wilson was mentioned in a book I am reading now called 'Idiot America'. Odd connection these 2 U.S. presidents have, since I found out both had turns as president of the American Historical Association, an organization I am a member of. Though Wilson died in office during his 1-year term, it is usually just a 1-year appointment.
   There may even be a joke in all of it, since I have referred to being bookish and this may come across as boring to some but I majored in history. I once said to one comedian friend how I expect him to ask 'who is this Emerson Hough you speak of?' Come to think of it, the name was even written on a window hanging of a pheasant that I moved back into my car, after finding it this week while cleaning up. It was in a car I had bought from a high school classmate, who did like hunting and his dad is a member of the Izaak Walton League, an outdoorsman organization that Hough co-founded. The Newton chapter is named for Hough. Even when I see a pinball game at a laundromat I think of Hough, since it has a fishing theme and there is a creel as part of the display. There was a creel of Hough's at the Ike's in Newton when I toured it in June wanting to write more about him.
    Had some unusual dreams recently, like scratching myself in public and may have been just covered up in a blanket like I should have been in bed. Another was talking to the father of a classmate from high school, haven't seen the classmate recently but he was a Little League teammate. The third was somebody who I caught stealing some of my collectible buttons.

No comments:

Post a Comment