Thursday, May 26, 2011

Killebrew Service

Left work an hour early to attend the Killebrew memorial service at Target Field, plenty of VIP's there. Made it to a comedy show across town right after it.
   First, the service. It was actually another date, met her first for dinner at a pizza by the slice place near Target Center, near the 'other' Target-named arena. We saw his statue and Hall of Fame plaque on display before going in. There weren't many people waiting when the gates opened, no problem getting in. The news said about 4,000 attended it. There was a helicopter overhead, guess the news wanted an aerial view, it after all was news. I liked how they started out with when he appeared on a show called 'Home Run Derby' back in 1960, playing for the Washington Senators. I had seen reruns of it on ESPN before. I liked the music quite a bit, there was a choir singing, and the recorded songs playing were nice as well. These included 'Tears in Heaven' by Eric Clapton, and as we were leaving it was 'The Dance' by Garth Brooks. It did bring back memories of being at the Kirby Puckett memorial service in 2006, although Puckett's had a larger crowd, maybe due to being a more recent player than Killebrew.
   I wanted to rush across town for a comedy show I would be performing in, so I got my date on the train and then left to get to my car. I arrived 5 minutes before the scheduled start of the show, but the start time was delayed nearly 30 minutes. Found out I would be doing more than just a duet at the end of the show, but co-hosting it by making comments about each comic after they performed. There was some musicians there, playing on an electric piano, reminding me of being at the memorial service. I liked getting the stage time, after a while my friend let me be the sole host and I did my best with it, was told I did quite well. Looking forward to when I can do it again. Even signed a few posters after the show, and taking cues from what was said about Killebrew having a legible signature, I decided to go with a more legible one.   

No comments:

Post a Comment