Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Winnipeg Hockey

I had to pause when the announcement was made about the NHL's Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg. I had visited there, for a Van Halen concert in 2004 on Halloween weekend, the final event at the old Winnipeg Arena. I had seen the minor-league hockey team, the Moose, play the Chicago Wolves before. And of course I had seen the baseball team, the Goldeyes, play the St. Paul Saints. The MTS Centre I said was built to attract an NHL team, and it has. But it took a little longer than some fans had hoped, I am sure. The example I had given was the Met In Bloomington, MN, now the site of Mall of America. That stadium was built to attract a major league baseball team, and it did after 5 seasons as a minor league venue. I had even bought a book about Manitoba at a second hand store after visiting Winnipeg, as I liked my visit there. It was a long drive, and a rather gruff security guard on the American side. Also memorable was how it was the weekend before the election, so the joke I could have made was 'please let me back in the country so I can vote!' On the radio was profiles about the candidates, Bush and Kerry. Also recall songs like 'I'm on Fire' by Bruce Springsteen, as well as some French songs that seemed to be in rotation, they were repeating. A few years back, after this visit, I saw an arthouse movie called 'My Winnipeg', which did show the old hockey arena being demolished.
    I had some ice cream after dinner, went to Dairy Queen to have a Blizzard, they didn't have the German Chocolate Brownie type as flavor of the month so I got French Silk Pie instead. After the comedy show, I tried adjusting my car seat while driving, likely not an advisable thing to do, but nothing bad happened.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment