Friday, May 20, 2011

Mosaic Festival

Went to the Mosaic Festival at Roosevelt High School in Minneapolis earlier today. Liked seeing all of the tables there, had some sweet potato pie among other things. Also gave a shoutout to Emerson Hough, my inspiration as a writer, in the school paper- it was just 1 ticket (50 cents). I had the day off from work to attend a mentoring event at Lake Nokomis, also in Minneapolis. much of it was moved indoors due to rain. I tried to attend the Gopher baseball game against Ohio State at Target Field tonight but it was rained out. Despite this, I still got another smashed penny there, number 22. Unable to attend Saturday, already have plans. I left my ticket at the Harmon Killebrew statue, there was plenty there like peanuts and cracker jacks, flowers, posters, pictures, even a dollar bill and 2 quarters. A coin with the 'Serenity Prayer' caught my eye as well, along with cans of Killebrew root beer.
    I saw TV coverage of the Killebrew funeral on the news tonight. Liked seeing Charley Pride performing 'I'll Fly Away' there. I looked up other versions on youtube, found Hank Williams (Sr.), Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and a clip from the TV show 'The Waltons'. After posting it on Facebook I was informed there was a version on the 'O Brother Where Art Thou' movie soundtrack. Then I found more versions- by Jars of Clay, Kanye West, and Alan Jackson. It appears to have been covered to the Nth degree. Much like the Kirby Puckett memorial service, it appears to be upbeat, which I like. since we should celebrate life, not mourn it.
     It seems relevant to have done a shoutout to Emerson Hough, since it was this weekend a year ago when I attended the 'save the school' fundraiser in my hometown. It was what prompted me to start this blog. Also notable, I picked up another one of Hough's books from Borders, I had ordered it 2 weeks earlier. It is 'Story of the Cowboy', one that Theodore Roosevelt liked. So now I have 7 by or about Hough, 5 of these were acquired after the school fiasco began.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment