Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Blatz, Schlitz, Pabst, Miller

    This morning a colleague said hi to me in passing and I spoke of some places I had been to recently, like the festival at the former Schmidt brewery. He is from Wisconsin and I am used to how he will recommend things from his native state. This includes Ella's Deli in Madison, part of a visit there last year. So he spoke of brewery tours in Milwaukee. I decided to do more research on my own and it is hard to tell what is all available for tours at the breweries there. According to Wikipedia it appears just one major brewer still operates there- Miller. I did their tour when I was young, but I no longer have the postcards from it like a statue of their founder. I recognized names of four historically Milwaukee beer companies- the other three being Blatz, Schlitz, and Pabst. There may also be tours of the former homes of these brewery leaders. But the fact remains that it will be hard to schedule for a while, even though I may enjoy some part of it. One of the articles spoke of how this was a 'Mount Rushmore' for the city, since there was four and these beers were prominent in the city for a while, including in philanthropy. I think there was even mention of a comedy show if I'm not mistaken about these four beers, especially when arranged properly the names sound funnier. I know I have two Schlitz postcards that I bought from a local antique shop, and a Pabst postcard from the Chicago World's Fair. I have drank Pabst at some local bars when there for a comedy show, but not too often.  Miller is a beer I drink even less often. I know Pabst is popular with hipsters, though I don't think of myself as one. I did like the hipster episode of The Simpsons, where they drank a Pabst knockoff at Moe's. Tavern.
   At the comedy club tonight, the Alabama native and photographer was MC. She said it was her first time in a while doing comedy, as she just had a baby in January. The big dog was near the end of the show, and did jokes about recently getting married. The Mason City native was added to the list, and did some about his wife being from Wisconsin and mention of regional terms confusing people like what they call ATMs there. The bus fare comic and sub teacher also performed. The show closer is from Fargo, and will be the feature act this week. He did a rambling joke about anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment