Friday, June 6, 2014

Snoopy Figurine At Twins Game

   I went to the Twins game right after work, getting off an hour early, to increase the odds of getting the Snoopy figurine that was being given away. I arrived before the gates opened and milled around a little, seeing promoters for South Dakota tourism. It was 4 people in Mount Rushmore costumes, but at first they didn't have their heads on. I was pleased to make a find in the souvenir shop, as they did have the Charlie Brown and Snoopy pennant again. I also got a pin that had the characters on it. There were some mini-statues available but they were picked over, not too many left. Somebody decided they wanted the remaining Linus, I said I didn't want it at the given price on the box, which was $29. I know it is best to spread out the cost on these things, so on my next visit I can consider getting it. Naturally, those are similar to the exclusive one being given out tonight. I walked a lot before the game as I had 2 hours before game time. I made 4 laps around the main concourse. It was long enough to see how they needed just over an hour to give away the 10,000 figurines. I would have guessed less time, but it was a Friday evening so people probably don't show up as early as they would on say a Saturday or Sunday. After 6pm I finally decided to find my way up to my seat in the upper deck. This was where I got my food and drink for the night, a bratwurst and a bottle of water. I also took a 'Selfie' on this level, it took me 4 tries before I found one I liked. I wanted one of me wearing The Turkeys shirt since I had been to 2 of their shows recently and the Stillwater show was tonight. I had to exchange the water as I couldn't get it open. I worked on it for a wile, and an older couple in my row tried as well, to no avail. I was told they had to toss it and thankfully I was given a bottle that did open. I checked it right at the counter. I did this shortly after Snoopy threw out the first pitch. Just before the players were to take the field, the game was put in rain delay and the tarp was brought out. This was due to a threat of rain and lightning, but no lightning was ever sighted. It did rain a little, but it seemed needless to do this before any rain. The delay was for over an hour. Once the game started the Twins had trouble fairly early, falling behind 2-0 in the fourth after the Houston Astros hit two solo home runs in consecutive innings. Houston added 3 more in the 6th, and this proved to be enough as Houston went on to win 5-4. The Twins got 3 in the 7th and 1 in the 8th. I liked discussing baseball with the older couple that tried to help me with the water bottle, at least the husband anyway. The wife said 'Don't you know, country music is most popular' late in the game. This was in response to what song won the fan poll at the stadium, a Best Buy- sponsored event. It was 'Fishing in the dark' by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Though the other two were also country- 'Thank God I am a country boy' by John Denver and 'Cheap Seats' by Alabama. I figured Alabama would win since theirs was a baseball song. After the game I liked chatting a little on the light rail with a young couple from Waterville, they informed me it is near Faribault. There was a stadium employee on the same train, but I found her to be annoying. She seemed to be a lot like somebody I used to know, wanting to talk to me when I didn't. She claims she got the Snoopy figurine from somebody as a tip, and her Delaware North uniform suggested she was a food or drink vendor at the game. I liked how I didn't have to wait long at the airport for the bus home. It was just a few minutes. At that time of night the buses are just twice an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment