Saturday, June 28, 2014

Church Basement Ladies Play

     I went to see a Church Basement Ladies play in Plymouth in the afternoon, it was the fifth and last in the series, known as 'The last potluck supper'. I had seen one other play in the series, the fourth, known as 'Mighty fortress'. I liked how they did laugh at themselves at times, like one character saying she couldn't live in a fake basement for the rest of her life. Later on it was how they couldn't envision anyone wanting to see a play about their church. There was a big crowd on hand, since it was the final weekend after starting back in August. One of the ladies was a klutz. Plenty of Bible verses were quoted when the ladies wanted to make a point. One framed poster there said it was originally to run until February but was extended due to popular demand. There was a wedding reception happening at the same hotel when the play was finished. It was also raining by then. I had an ice cream cone at a nearby McDonald's, then drove to the Bobby and Steve's in Minneapolis where I had a little Godfather's pizza. I listened to Laughing Matters on AM950 for the first time in a while, some of the discussion was about Iraq. Another topic was about CEO pay. I got groceries and was tired by then and decided to stay in for the rest of the night.
    I was out and about fairly early today, as I wanted to make it to an event before the play. I went to Kaposia Days in South St. Paul. I found two historical markers before reaching the festival in the middle of town, it was marking the sites of the Armour and Swift packing plants. I like seeing the Armour marker more as they kept the stockyard gates up, though they look a little trashy inside now. I saw a critter who had made a hole under the gate, but he was too shy to come out after seeing me. I liked seeing the Charlie Brown and Snoopy statues at Pro-X Pharmacy, where I got the festival button. I was behind somebody who was taking too long with buying lottery tickets, so I went in the back to the pharmacy part instead. I did eat at the festival, a hot dog and some bottled water. I liked hearing a DJ playing songs there, I recognized two in particular. One was 'Fancy' by Iggy Azalea and the other was 'Mmmbop' by Hanson. With the former at first I expected the title to be 'From LA to Tokyo' as it is the most memorable lyric. Surprising to find out how Iggy is Australian, haven't heard of rappers being from there before. I found the car show nearby at the Wells Fargo bank, it was moved from the high school due to construction. I saw a military Jeep from the 1940s, and liked seeing a Shelby Cobra there as well, a forerunner to the Mustang of the same name.

No comments:

Post a Comment