Thursday, June 26, 2014

Guest Set Number 3

     I was thrilled to get some stage time tonight. Normally I don't go to the comedy club this day of the week. This guest set would be my third if I am not mistaken, and this one was longer, 5 minutes instead of 3. The headliner, who is from Canada originally, was willing to book me since we did crowd rap together when I was at a show in suburban Chicago in early March. I did include this story of how we met in my set. At first I went with a fake story, and said it was the storyline to the 1980s sitcom 'Perfect Strangers'. Though the real story was good on its own. I attended a show when I was back visiting some of my 'Old haunts' and we could hear each other just fine in the mall venue even though I was way in the back. I did one about finding 40 pennies in the downtown St. Paul skyway, outside of a US bank- where they have a change counter. I put them in a little bag and they were dumped in my change bank when I got home. Another was about visiting a classmate over the weekend who calls me 'A legend'- which led to my best bit of the night. The MC and the headliner liked mention of how I was bullied at church, and during the headliner's set I spoke of how when requested. And I did one about my dad discussing lead paint. I did get a 'Ring of honor' photo done after the show with the headliner and the feature act, a North Dakota native who was wearing a Batman shirt. 
    I knew well enough to show up early, I was there 30 minutes before show time as this is what I do when I am performing at an open-mic show. I checked in with the MC, the Alabama native and photographer, who shared how I got stage time on Facebook. I brought my video camera as I know I should use it more often to film myself doing comedy. I think I last used it nearly a year ago when I traveled to Mount Rushmore. After the show, a crowd member said to me that 'The nerdy look works for me'. I said I was being me, and if it is working I will continue with it. I liked how the headliner said he was familiar with some Twin City comics, he named the Oklahoma native as one of the two. The other was a comic who followed me on the night I performed with The Turkeys troupe in September. And I said it was helpful to hear some songs to remember this night. The one I picked was 'Applause' by lady gaga, same song I heard on the radio after The Turkeys performance. I heard it at the bar tonight.
   I saw the headliner after I completed my set as I needed to go to the bathroom, he said he made it just before the show began so he saw the set. I said I thought I did well even though I was stuck at one point, but I wasn't stuck for long. He did a quick interview that he said would be posted on Insta-gram, a service I haven't used yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment