Friday, June 13, 2014

Kraftig Beer

    Tonight I had my first Kraftig beer, after the baseball game I attended. I noticed it was available at the hotel bar. During my annual visit to St. Louis last year I saw plenty of ads for it, and it did raise eyebrows when I saw the Busch name on it. This beer tasted fine, kind of like Heineken to me, and
the bottle said it was a light. According to my online research before this visit an article said that William Busch was the only Busch family member not forced to sign a no-compete agreement after In-Bev of Belgium bought Anheuser-Busch. It is brewed under contract in La Crosse,WI.
    I am pulling out my camera now to look at all of the pictures taken today. I tend to take plenty while traveling. I know there was a decent number taken before the flight left MSP, and even more before I left Lambert Airport in St. Louis. Fifteen were taken after leaving the airport, and 38 were taken since I had arrived at MSP. It started with the ticket counter for Delta which is seen before going up to baggage claim. I got some postcards, and Godfather's Pizza. I saw art for a beer brewed in New Ulm, appears to be Hauenstein. I thought it was funny on some level to see a video game room named for Charles Lindbergh, the famous pilot. It was called 'Lucky Lindy's'. There is a replica of his Spirit of St. Louis plane hanging from the ceiling and one wall said 'Lindbergh does it!' which was about his famous flight from New York to Paris in 1927. I saw some wall postings about the history of Lambert Airport, some of it was mentioned in the movie 'Up in the air'. Finally there was the hotel. I went for a dip in the pool and there was four young men in the pool when I arrived. When I dunked myself at the start, I said 'Now that feels better' and they laughed. So I guess I can do an impromptu comedy show most anywhere. After getting two cookies and some bottled water at a Subway sandwich shop, where I heard 'Paparazzi' by Lady Gaga playing, I got onto their light rail system, known as Metro-Link, and headed downtown to the stadium. I liked seeing a banner at the stadium's stop advertising Nathan's hot dogs, just $3, across the street from the Stan Musial statue. So I had one as it is a good deal. I got a quick look at Ballpark Village, since the city was first settled by the French there is a Fleur-de-lis as part of the welcome sign. This is also part of the city's flag. I saw a birthday cake statue outside the stadium, celebrating the city's 250th anniversary. I later saw another one at the airport after the game.
   I did get the giveaway of the night, which was a retired numbers wall canvas. I saw how some posed for pictures in front of various statues outside the stadium, holding it like a bat. At the main souvenir shop I was pleased with what I found there. I passed on the socks, just one of them was red. But I liked finding a team set of cards, didn't have one yet. Yadier Molina, their All-Star catcher, is the first card. I also found a Charlie Brown and Snoopy magnet, a sheet of stickers, and a postcard. Now I have a replacement sticker for my cellphone, the one I had on it just plain finally wore off but it was really old and had been on earlier phones.
   I should also write about the game, the main reason why I am in town now. The Cardinals beat the Washington Nationals 1-0. I wasn't comfortable throughout as I know it is hard to win this type of game. I saw one of these in 1999 in Detroit, the final year at Tiger Stadium. The game's only run was on a home run, the team leading pulled the starter after 8 innings, and the team trailing sent more than one pinch hitter in the 9th. And it was of comparable duration, 2 hours. Cardinal first baseman Matt Adams had the home run tonight, in the 2nd. I did recognize some former Twins players tonight, as Denard Span was leadoff hitter for the Nationals. The Cardinals had Pat Neshek, the sidearm pitcher, warming up in the bullpen but he did not pitch tonight. Cardinal starter Lance Lynn threw more pitches than Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann, but still won. And of course there was the music. During the game there was a trivia question, and one clue was the song 'Folsom Prison' by Johnny Cash. The answer was 1968, same year Bob Gibson recorded an ERA of just over 1.00. Another was 'Holiday Road', a song from the movie 'Vacation'. I also thought of another song before the game as I was about to take the escalator up to my seat. It was 'Who's that chick?' by Rihanna. It was due to the following lyrics: 'I just want to dance, I don't really care.' These are sentiments I agree with. Then it led me to think of 'Hotel California' by The Eagles, as one lyric was 'Some dance to remember, some dance to forget'. I think I do both. Really odd was how 'Hotel' was a song mentioned between innings, as fans were asked to guess what the next lyric was.
  Then there was getting back to the hotel after the game. I didn't want to wait in long lines for Metro-Link at the Busch Stadium stop, so I went up one stop before it. This meant having to transfer at Forest Park so I could still get back to the airport, since there are Blue and Red lines. The Red line goes to the airport. Upon arrival back at my hotel, the Airport Hilton, I have the beer but I am not served right away, the bartender seemed to be busy with various things for a few minutes. A hockey game was on, Stanley Cup final, and the LA Kings beat the NY Rangers in the second overtime to win the series 4-1. I heard someone in the background ask someone else 'Can I vent?' more than once. I turned around and said it didn't surprise me much. I found out it was a pretty girl in a strapless black dress, brown hair but not quite shoulder length, and had a tattoo on her left shoulder blade. For some reason it made sense to me, not sure why, when I saw who said it.

No comments:

Post a Comment