Saturday, July 11, 2015

St. Paul Pedestrian Mall

    I went to the Bastille Day celebration, done by the French Alliance, at the St. Paul pedestrian mall downtown. I found out the former Artist Quarter will now be called 'Vieux Carre' and it is owned by the Minneapolis-based Dakota jazz club. I get the reference, as I recall it is a section of New Orleans, which likes its jazz music, and it is the French translation of 'French Quarter'. I got plenty of pictures there, including of the musicians. One of them looked and sounded like Leonard Cohen, who first performed the song 'Hallelujah', as he had a raspy voice and because of the hat he was wearing. I know Leonard Cohen is French-Canadian.
   Before this event I did some errand running, like checking mail at the post office, paying on my Best Buy account after getting the new digital camera last month, and printing things at the library. A technician was here around midday as I called for service on my internet connection. The call woke me up but I didn't answer, when I responded he said he decided to work on another job first so I went to McDonald's to have a breakfast sandwich. He spoke of getting a bee sting on another job.
   In the late evening I went to a comedy show, it was improvised stand-up, and I knew many of the performers. This included the producer, New Ulm mayor. I liked getting a beer at Bryant Lake Bowl after the show. Nothing like drinking a Schlitz outside on a warm summer night among friends.  The songs after the show I heard was 'East Bound and Down' (from the movie 'Smokey and the Bandit') and 'Rainbow Connection' (from the Muppet Movie). Besides the mayor, I also saw resistable, Red, and poster artist perform. I added poster artist to my Ring of Honor tonight when we were having a beer after the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment