Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Bank Of America Commercial

    I was watching TV tonight and saw a Bank of America commercial. It included part of the song 'Tide is high', the version by Blondie if I am not mistaken. It made me think of the Mason City native as we had discussed this song before. I may have written about it before, and had it as the blog entry title. I did speak of how this song helped me find courage to talk to somebody. I heard it inside a Walgreen store and was starting to lose the nerve, but after hearing the song I said I don't want to end up hating it for being timid. I am careful with music, as I know it helps me remember the good as well as the bad. And with my mind, I don't want any help with remembering the bad. It did prompt me to find earlier versions of the song on Youtube, by The Paragons, as well as John Holt.
   I turned down an event invite from the Maryland native, it was for auditions for Last Comic Standing. I did the right thing, as I got stage time at another club. I like to support my friends at their shows, but stage time for me comes first. I had said it before when I am inundated with Facebook invites- I am more likely to show up if I, um, am offered stage time. Considering another posting mentioned all of the comics there, it is no surprise how I was able to get stage time. I had way less competition! The new jokes are working well, it was a shorter set by one minute compared to the night before. I did one joke that I didn't do earlier, and it was the leadoff and worked well. It was about having to talk to a cop over the weekend. I also did two inspired by interactions with the big dog- 'Ear wax' and 'Indentured servant'. The former got laughs early on, right after announcing having such a procedure. Broken watch and 4-hour coffee date were the others I did.
   I got some pictures before leaving the club, as outside there was two cars available to win in a drawing at a benefit event this weekend for a police officer killed in the line of duty. The bartender did a Facebook posting about my interaction with the bronze comic after the show, and made a reference to a unicorn and leprechaun. I responded by saying it was perfect joke material. I added how others seem to have been entertained with my interactions like with an office colleague I called 'Filibuster'. 
   At work I got a laugh from the political science guy near the end of the day when I spoke of how he should fax the form to a different name- it happened to be the Romanian leader who was murdered in the 1980s. I recalled a Saturday Night Live skit where people at the funeral home shot up his corpse in the casket to make sure he was dead. This guy does like this kind of humor. Also notable was a colleague, who said she grew up with comedian Louie Anderson, telling me stories about arranged marriages in the Italian communities in the Twin Cities. Apparently suitors would be brought over from Italy and the marriages would happen even though one of them didn't speak English. When I had previously spoke of how the new Saints baseball stadium will be in Lower-town, she said she worked at the shampoo factory that was on the site.
    Tonight's MC did jokes about working at Blockbuster Video, and about his lady's stuff in the apartment. A comic I haven't written about much before did one about saying 'no you won't' to his wife, in response to having magazines to read. International Falls did ones about a 3-4 birth control pill night, a street harasser, a dog rescue, and her IUD. The Fancy comic did ones about being the 'best looking man in comedy', baseball hot dogs apple pie, wow that's fancy, and being your closest star. Software developer did one about 'tequila and a compliment'. Laundry did ones about his kids telling street jokes, and lawn mowing. The crow did ones about using a gun to back up saying 'do it', and Alanis song, another song about 'you're mine', and not going anywhere. The Wisconsin girl did one about it being an 'ageist economy'. Michigan did ones about a 2-dude wedding, Elton John and Liberace, and his stolen wallet having just $3 in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment