Thursday, September 11, 2014

City Pages, Stadium Concerts

    I do the routine thing of going through emails after work. Today there was actually two that caught my eye, about the same subject as they were both from City Pages. I read through the online version of the story and then went to the neighborhood grocery store to get the print version. The cover story is 'Midway Stadium's greatest hits'. It shows an LP record inside a baseball glove, in reference to this being a baseball venue primarily. It covers many of the concerts held there since the St. Paul Saints baseball team started playing there in 1993. Some of the acts I just have their CDs, like Soul Asylum. I am pleased to say I have performed comedy at one place this band was at, the 400 bar. I also have a Counting Crows CD, an act that performed there more recently. Two others sounded familiar, in terms of seeing them on the same tour but at different venues. I did see the B-52's/Pretenders show in 1998, and REM in 1999, at a suburban Chicago venue as I lived there at the time. The Pretenders show was memorable as it was postponed a few days due to a death in the family of one of the artists. This was my first year in the area. I went to Tinley Park, in the south suburbs, for both of these shows. It was called the New World Music Theater, and later on the Tweeter Center (not Twitter). This was the name of a chain of electronics stores, and was before the creation of the social media site. I have seen one show at the Saints stadium, and it is mentioned in the article. This was Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson in July 2005. I mainly went to see Willie Nelson as I am not too familiar with Bob Dylan's music. When I told my dad about my plans to attend the show he said 'They are two old hippies'. It was the same year Willie played Uncle Jesse in the 'Dukes of Hazzard' movie, and it was mentioned at the show. Naturally the article was inspired by the last scheduled event at Midway Stadium, The Replacements concert this weekend. I have one of their CDs.
   Like many Thursdays, this was a good 'Catch-up' night. I am thankful I got one thing in particular crossed off my list, listening to Bob Newhart on the Marc Maron podcast. It was from a month ago, another comic- University Accountant- informed me about it. The podcast was nearly 2 hours, but I liked listening to it. Plenty of stories were told about comedians he has worked with over the years.
   At work our department meeting has been rescheduled more than once, in hopes of finding a day where all of us can attend. My 'Work spouse' has been ill for the past two days, and I am out of the office on Friday, so it has been pushed back to Monday. The political science guy said 'Call me a field marshal'. He also asked me about internet dating sites I am on.

No comments:

Post a Comment