Sunday, September 14, 2014

Kikagaku Moyo

     I am thankful for the 'Music education' from the Mason City native. He still surprises me on his knowledge of music. Today he tagged me on a Facebook posting, that I saw after a date, so I took it as he wanted me to listen to the song. It was a Japanese band, called 'Kikagaku Moyo'. I don't know Japanese but I trust his recommendations. I was given the link from Youtube if I am not mistaken. I said it was a little long, over 7 minutes, but it was all right. The instrumental parts were quite good, a comparison was made to Neil Young. This works for me as I like some Neil Young songs, especially 'Rocking in the free world' and 'Searching for a heart of gold'. In addition, he 'Sponsored' a band I really like, Pearl Jam. I said I took off points as the lyrics were unintelligible. I wondered if it was a case of what I have seen before, where musicians sometimes turn up their amplifier so high that it is hard to hear the lyrics. But he said it was in Japanese so it would be hard to understand no matter what the volume is. I have a college roommate that knows the language, been there twice. First was as an English teacher, the other in the Navy. But I am not sure if he knows Japanese music. I like the mention of 'Forest of lost children', since I like 'Lost soul' themes, feeling like one myself.
    I did have a date in the afternoon, at a Caribou coffee shop. We talked for 4 hours, NO JOKE. So I take it as it was going well, especially when I didn't look at my watch for a while. I finally did, but more than 3 hours in. I like finding somebody who seems to understand me, and accept me. And my date liked hearing about me doing comedy. I will admit that I am a little jaded from all of the quick rejections, but I trust the good feeling is warranted. And it will be if/when there is a second date. I made it a Facebook posting and got plenty of likes from friends, some comedians and some former classmates. I said the Ally Sheedy line from the movie 'Only the lonely' fits my mood: 'Don't screw this one up'. Will I get some joke material from it? Probably.
     I watched the Bears-49ers game in the evening on NBC tonight. Bears won 28-20, aided by 49ers turnovers, now the Bears are 1-1. After the game ended there was a GEICO commercial, Kenny Rogers was signing some of 'The Gambler' and it made me think of the DC native's 'Stolen penguin' joke. I let him know in a Facebook posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment