Saturday, September 13, 2014

Guys And Dolls Play

    This afternoon I went to see a play, 'Guys and Dolls', at the Arts Center in Bloomington. I guessed correctly on one thing, when they spoke of a 'Crap game' I figured they meant dice, since it sounded like saying 'Shooting craps'. Besides the main character, Nathan Detroit, I also liked the 'General' of the Salvation Army- type organization, she was lively. Like many plays, the second act was shorter than the first. Since Cuba went communist in the 1950s the scenes in Havana were lost on me in many ways, as I haven't read much yet about Cuba being a rich person's playground when it was an American territory. The song in it I was familiar with, from an NFL commercial, was in the second act- 'Sit down, you're rocking the boat'. I got a good look around at this city government complex, there were ballerinas in one room and I got a photo from the doorway. Outside there was a sundial. On the upper level I discovered another art display, smaller than the one on the main floor. I found the upper level at intermission, I liked knowing there was a bathroom on that floor as well.
   The first event of the day was a brunch in Minneapolis, at a place called The Local in Nicollet Mall. The preschool teacher sent a Facebook invite, it was an early birthday celebration. I liked the food there, especially the scrambled eggs and bacon. I learned what a mimosa was, orange juice and champagne, as a drink was included in the buffet. It tasted fine. I got photos there and so did she. Another attendee was the roller grill comic's friend, who is not a comic but I have seen two of the plays he did with his friend at the Fringe Festival. When I went to the bathroom there I saw a 'Kissing room' with saloon-type doors on it. I took a quick look inside, it was vacant but I was told it can get 'Crazy' in there in the evening. I rode the light rail there and saw an IT guy from my workplace. He and his wife had bicycles on the train and were going to ride then back home.
   After the play I came home and rested and did chores like get groceries and do the dishes. So I have them all done, and Sunday is fairly open aside from a date already scheduled. I also listened to the sub teacher's radio show. One of his guests was the big dog, who 'Joined in progress'. Subjects covered included the deaths of Robin Williams and Joan Rivers. Others were leaked photos, and an upcoming Nicolas Cage movie that a member of Duck Dynasty likes.
   The third and final event of the day was a comedy show. The Worthington native was performing and postage stamp was the MC. There was two guest sets, one was Mr. Pibb and the other was a
comic I haven't written about much yet. I think I will call him 'Jersey video' as he was in Mason City's Youtube video about the Kevin Love trade. On Youtube he is what you see on the 'Cover' of the video, suggesting to 'Pretend' burn the jersey. I had heard most of Worthington's jokes before, but I still liked them. The Greyhound bus story is a good one. Others were about being a cyber bully to his dad, and the 'Tough dad' speech. One of them I hadn't heard before, about slam dunking on the basketball court where he now lives in California. The headliner was from New York, and I liked a joke about being a hypochondriac. After the show 'W' played a Taylor Swift song, he knew it would annoy some. I liked hearing music on my car radio when driving home from the club- 'Lose Yourself' by Eminem, and 'Boulevard of broken dreams' by Green Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment