Thursday, September 25, 2014

Don't Go Back To Rockville, REM

    Tonight was about getting ready for attending a wedding. I bought gifts at two different stores. I got another loyalty card at one, and ate there as well. I have decided to be cagey about what the two stores were, as I know the bride-to-be likes to read my blog and I want it to be a surprise if at all possible as to what the gifts are.
     I liked hearing some music at the first store. The lid-lifter was 'Don't go back to Rockville' by REM. Some of the lyrics are truly melancholy, but it is well-written. 'Cause it's so much easier to handle all my problems if I'm too far out to sea. But something better happen soon or it's gonna be too late to bring me back'. Then even better later on in the song is 'It's not as though I really need you, if you were here I'd only bleed you'. I may have said it before how I like hearing of towns called 'Something-ville'. This likely goes back to what I knew in my native Iowa. Though I have found with my travels this kind of town name is everywhere. So it is comfortable. And of course it suggests a small town, in most cases, like where I grew up. At first I had hoped the song was another one by REM, 'Driver 8', with a railroad theme. I like that one a lot. And of course I needed to listen to it a little, especially in a store where it can be hard to hear, to know which one it was. The closer song was 'Vacation' by the Go-Go's. It also speaks of a relationship, but has a decidedly different theme. Where a vacation was needed to get over somebody. I still think of it as being in a Michael Moore documentary, 'Fahrenheit 9/11'. This was where Moore makes fun of President Bush being on vacation often.
   I think about music a lot. Those who know me best know this about me. Thanks to Wikipedia I found out the song 'Tide is high' was also covered by Canadian rapper Kardinal Offishall. It is lively, but hard to top Blondie's version. Actually, his version is known as 'Numba 1'. I know some of his other songs better, like a remix of Lady Gaga's 'Just dance'. Or his own song, 'Dangerous'. Because I like some clever lyrics such as 'Everything locked like a 2-3 zone'. Also recently, I found some more Eminem songs on Youtube, that were suggested to me based on previous searches. This included '3 am', and 'Just lose it'. The former I didn't like that much, but I really like the latter. He is peerless as a wordsmith. With lyrics like 'That's just a metaphor, I'm just psycho'. His mentor, Dr. Dre, and actor Erik Estrada are also in the video. Of course Estrada is playing a cop, as he is best known from the TV show 'Chips'.
   After I got back from the stores, I decided to try on my formal outfit. It is mostly just brought out for events like weddings. I like knowing it fits fine, it helps that I lost some weight since May. Really not much else left to do on preparing. I have a digital camera and a video camera I plan on taking there. At work I may have annoyed some of my office colleagues by saying more than once how I have the next day off for a wedding, but weddings are fun. Also notable from the office was when I went for my weekly weigh-in I decided to look down inside a hole in the desk where the scale reader is kept. I noticed a nickel, and the stick of lip balm that I lost there months ago. Thanks to the coin, I decided to go find a way to fish both items out. I was able to, but a drawer now will not slide back in like it had before. The nickel was from the Lewis and Clark series of a decade ago, and was placed in my change bank. The political science guy amused himself by shooting rubber bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment