Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Law Schools

I reallly needed to do some cleanup tonight around my home. Best reminder of it was mail I hadn't read through for a few days. At the end of the night it led to 2 items ready to be mailed. One was an opt-in for a bank account, another a donation for a non-profit. Finally decided to get my debit card activated, since my existing one is expiring at the end of the month. It also meant doing plenty of shredding of junk mail, or of extra envelopes after combining old bills from the same place. I wasn't sure where one phone bill was, so I kept looking and found it under some other documents on the table and not in my old bills box. It made sense why after finding it, as there were directions to a comedy club written on the envelope. It's nice being able to find things, and of course put away things like clothes in the basket that were left on my bed or in my easy chair. Yes, readers, I am a bachelor, this is how I can get away with that! But I'm not your typical bachelor, as I do see my home is fairly well-kept. It means doing dishes, recycle, and laundry regularly, and trash does get disposed of in the proper place right away.
   At the end of my workday I spoke with a friend about somebody I had met this week, who claimed to be an ex-lawyer and I corrected him right away, saying there were law schools in America before 1930. I get annoyed with those who can't get their facts straight. I knew full well how Clarence Darrow had graduated from Michigan Law School, and it was in the 1870s-1880s. {A reader has pointed out how Darrow attended but did not graduate from Michigan Law School} I found out Harvard, Yale, and Iowa had law schools created during the 19th century as well. Even the American Bar Association was created during that century. Amazed how somebody who claims to be an ex-lawyer didn't even know the history of his profession. But ignorance is everywhere. I once rode a train from Chicago to St. Louis and heard a woman say to her granddaughter how Abe Lincoln was born in Lincoln, IL. Obviously wrong, as he was born in Kentucky.
   I also decided to clean up my online dating account, meaning that inactive matches got closed. It meant reactivating 5 of them, since they finally had added pictures. Though it mostly meant closing ones where she said 'no' to me. Moving them over now means there are over 3,000 closed matches. I have only met a small fraction, just 12. Many of them are due to lack of effort, as they fail to post a photo or respond to my messages. I'm not wasting my time with those who aren't interested. I'm still trying, but I do have standards, one must have them to avoid somebody walking all over them.

1 comment:

  1. Clarence Darrow attended the University of Michigan Law School in Ann Arbor, but he did not graduate.

    ReplyDelete