Friday, July 2, 2010

Winter's Bone

Went to a movie tonight, 'winter's bone'. Enjoyed reading the review last week, there was an article about the movie and the director. It has won some awards already and there is some Oscar buzz as well. Much of the scenery in it was familiar, being from small town Iowa. There were chainsaws, wood burning stoves, and of course the people looked much like people I had known as a youngster. So yes I do recommend it.
   A classmate on Facebook did read my blog and gave me a few pointers on it, and since their blog has been published in book form I will pay attention. It is proof of how they know what they're doing. The statement which resonated with me the most was 'putting my best foot forward'. I've learned throughout life how I tend to do better when I am putting my best foot forward. As the saying goes, if it was easy then everybody would do it.
   It is odd how I am in some ways returning to my roots after 'being away' for a while. Even though the movie I saw tonight was filmed in Missouri, it still reminded me of Iowa. Then there is the classmate giving me pointers on writing. And we must not forget how fate intervened, in terms of what finally led me to start the blog- my inspiration as a writer, Emerson Hough, a local role model. When I think about it, my writing skills were being developed during my time at school in Newton. I made a visit to my hometown in 2006, on a 'double dip' football weekend- seeing a game there as well as in Iowa City the next day. Both visits I recall making were writing related, as I stopped at the school but the librarian had little information about Hough aside from how somebody donated some of his books to the school. The other visit was to the county soil conservation district. I had kept a certificate from entering their writing contest in junior high, even after the frame fell apart. It took me long enough to realize how important it was to get recognition for my writing, as it was nearly 20 years later. It felt foolish to refuse to attend the award ceremony now, but back then I just wanted the extra credit for science class. So it was an afterthought to enter the essay contest. I actually recall saying how now they won't leave me alone. I was a dumb kid then. Nobody was telling me how it was a GOOD thing to get an award, even if it wasn't for first- but third. Probably had little competition, but who cares? The odd thing is how I can't even recall what I wrote now, but it must have been something related to soil conservation- and in some way, farming. The main thing I didn't care for was my mom wanting to dig it up years later, totally unnecessary. She could have been the one who told me how it's nice to get an award. The certificate is still here somewhere, now in a plastic sleeve, hard to find wall space to display it. But it's still there to remind me of my origins as a writer.
   My inspirations and influences of course do extend beyond Newton. Two others contacted me today, something I noticed when checking email. Both are in my 'ring of honor'- friends and mentors I have had pictures taken with. One of them is a college roommate, who lives in a nearby town and works at the VA hospital. The other is a former boss and mentor, who just accepted my friend request on Facebook. No matter where I go or what I do I will think of that mentor, very positive, encouraging, and patient. I once called her the orthodontist I didn't hate as she 'put braces on me'.
    I just looked under the table where I am typing and decided to look for the certificate and FOUND IT! An earlier version of me had the right idea- find another picture frame for it. Yes, it does look better in a frame. As I recall it was from Walgreen, real cheap. Now the trick is to find a place for displaying it where it is seen more often.
    I should get back to my thought about my mentor. I am sure she is proud of what I have done since leaving Illinois. Believing in somebody is a good thing. She may not be familiar with all of it, and might be a little surprised as well that I found the courage to take the stage and tell jokes. Many people have said they couldn't do an open-mic night. At times I feel the need to lean on her for advice, but I am stronger and wiser now so I think this urge occurs less often than it did. I've spoken before of my visit to New Orleans being a 'benchmark' in my life, and I recall how she gave me pointers about what to see, do, and eat there. The food, drink, and music was all good there, and led me to understand how I tend to land on my feet no matter what happens in my life. So I didn't need to carry around all of this angst. Though this was only the beginning on the path, there was a ways to go of course to get to where I am now and where I am still trying to get to. But I'm sure I can make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment