Thursday, July 8, 2010

Picnic and Contest

It was a full evening tonight after work. I went to a picnic but could only stay for about 30 minutes as I had a scheduling conflict, the comedy contest. It meant saying goodbye to somebody I know that is going to live in another country for 3 years, as her husband got a job transfer. Came as no surprise that she spotted me right away on arrival, and then hugged me. She thought I was lying about being unable to stay any longer, and I asked "What, did you think I had a hot date?" She said she would like to see what I do on dates, unsure how to do that unless I bring along a hidden camera. I have been asked to keep her informed about my social life, although there's still not much to report about it.
   I liked doing the comedy contest again. I didn't win tonight but I know I did way better than last year, as I no longer rely on notes. It ran longer than Monday, so I didn't get to a joke about online dating. The worst thing I did was prove being a little nervous after my set was done, by stepping on a cord. So I did just fine, I know I got plenty of laughs. I liked having one of my comic friends there, who brought his lady friend.
    I may have lost them when I spoke of a friend from work, who had just informed me about getting engaged. I am hopeful to be invited to her wedding, and she said she may be able to introduce me to him as I plan on visiting the town she lives in next month. Don't think I had mentioned her often to my comic friends, as I avoid most serious subjects when at a comedy club, a place for laughs. But this is somebody I have written about before, a rare find in life. When she befriended me I knew right away it was a special thing, what I called a 'benchmark' in my life- she likes to say 'milestone' instead. She is very positive and encouraging, and this was nice to have in my life when I worked with her. It is why I gave her many nicknames, including 'peerless'. Since we still work for the same company- but in different states- I still can hear from her regularly. If anyone has a friend like this, let them know they are valued.

No comments:

Post a Comment