Monday, July 12, 2010

Two Classmates

It felt good to hear from 2 classmates. Both said they had read my letter to the editor that appeared in our hometown's paper recently about Emerson Hough School. One of them said it while telling me they would be out of town when I visit St. Louis soon. The other said he heard about the visit and he would let one of the players know, who happens to be a friend of his from playing AAU basketball in high school.
   I saw a shirt tonight at the comedy club that made me think of Emerson Hough. It was one that had a covered wagon on it and spoke of dysentery, I was told it was in reference to the Oregon Trail video game, haven't played it. Hough of course wrote a novel called "Covered Wagon".
   The shirt I ordered did arrive at the office earlier today, looks great. It says 'help save Emerson Hough' and has a big eagle above it.
   A comedian friend said he was engaged, and of course my friend from work just got engaged as well. I sent him a copy of an "Onion" article where it spoke of changing the national anthem to a Danzig song. It's a musician he likes.
   Also just saw the release form for winning a contest, free lunch for my office mates, from watching syndicated reruns of  'The Office'. So I will want to get it sent in soon. Still need to look up in my cellphone what word I sent by text message to win, a word I will likely remember for a long time. Much like 'balloon', the only word I missed for a while in spelling class in 6th grade, couldn't recall how many double letters it had. Yes I even was in the spelling bee that year, taking third. The word I missed was 'ferocious'. Now I have the Charlie Brown book at the spelling bee, "A Boy Named Charlie Brown", after dating somebody last year who had it. Bought my own copy. My dad said he took me to see it when I was four, but I don't recall it, too young. Couldn't find it for a while, since it was under a different name that I didn't know. Proof that some good can come out of bad relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment