Saturday, July 3, 2010

Urban Pack

I did get a few things crossed off my list today, like taking pictures. I was reminded of how one of the nearby 3M buildings is being demolished- on my way home from work. It was no big deal driving over to do that one since it's nearby. But there were others, like Hamm's Park, part of the Dayton's Bluff historic district, and even saw a woodcut scuplture of the bear from their ads. The one I wanted to do before was possible today, the Snoopy statue inside a hockey arena named for Charles Schulz. Saw nobody around, after opening the door, so I got a picture and left. It was locked before, so I only got a picture of the sign and a historic water tower in the background.
   The highlight of the day was seeing my college buddy. I called him this morning after seeing his email, and he asked what I was up for doing. I was fine with dinner somewhere, and that is what we did this evening. When I think about it, he is the reason for the name of the blog. I became a fan of "The Simpsons"  as it was what we did as an urban pack. Our college class and work schedules of course didn't match up much. When he said 'quiet, Simpsons are on' we knew what to do. I do look back on this time, my final year of college, fondly. Even then I knew how special it was. I was the little brother all over again, though I liked it more this time. Why? I think because I was treated with decency and respect more than before. I knew I was more valued there. We ate at a nearby restaurant, he recommended the prime rib which was good. The odd thing was how the server kept coming back and said how he couldn't fill my drink order, we were all out of that type of Leinenkugel. So I had it on tap, a big glass reminding me a little of a decanter. I think it was called a 'Schooner', apparently spelled the same as the type of covered wagon. I showed my pictures from my travels, some were from Fort Snelling last August as I know he works near there at the VA hospital but doesn't see the historic part much. Many of the others were from my travels to the Carolinas in April. Almost forgot about one in it, from an antiwar march. Since he's ex-military he likely wasn't thrilled to hear about it and how I'm an ACLU member. I said I support it since I believe in free speech. He said I could fight for it by joining the military. But there are many ways to protect it, like by excercising the rights we have.
   I was wondering what I could gain from the visit, and there is one thing I thought of on the drive home. I spoke of my interest in writing, and how it was tough to find a positive inspiration. It was tough to hear about the bios of some, like Ernest Hemingway and Sylvia Plath. They had drinking problems, suffered from depression, and committed suicide. He reminded me how Hemingway had been wounded in World War I, which was tough to overcome. Then I found the inspiration I needed- Emerson Hough, in my own hometown no less. Found out he liked writing more than other occupations.
   I did share what was relevant about my goings-on. Feels nice to have lost some weight in the past year. While online dating hasn't panned out, I'm still trying. I feel good about finding the courage to try comedy as well. He responded the same way some others did- tell me a joke, make me laugh. I went with one about online dating not going well, and some of the dates I've had like the Cajun Cougar. The cougar jokes are popular, heard them fairly often.
   He suggested seeing a movie at his place, and we saw 'Hangover'. I liked it, as it was a buddy movie and a road movie. As expected, I recognized many of the songs in it, like one by Rihanna and of course 'Iko Iko', when they parodied a "Rain Man" scene.
    What I like is what we have in common, being able to discuss history. This is something that is too rare for me, but I try to find the opportunities wherever possible. We discussed things like Ann Rutledge, who knew Abe Lincoln, and how well they knew each other is still debated. Or even the Lincoln County War in New Mexico, since Hough wrote about Pat Garrett.
     I liked sharing my writings, and he liked reading them. Now it means sending a link so he can read the blog, I said I would write about the visit tonight. He even became today's winner on the 'Simpsons' episode reference, as we were leaving the restaurant we saw lobster in the tank and it reminded me of when Homer picked a dead one, and was told it's better to pick a live one. Another roommate once suggested a sitcom based on our life at the house, the title would be taken from the address. But there was plenty I gain from the visit with somebody who knows me, sometimes it leads to answers when stuck. And it also means feeling more free to be open about certain issues. I once said it may have been an afterthought how I only saw him one time before, since his wife was at work, but I said I was fine with it since I felt more free to discuss manly issues. Hopefully he gained something from it as well, he may have been surprised to hear how I picked up a book recently about military forts in the plains states during the 19th-century Indian Wars from the Sioux (Dakota) uprising to Wounded Knee. I said even though I hadn't served in the military, I knew how it is still a big part of history. This is especially true in this part of the country. Some of our great cities started out as forts.
    It was odd to hear one song on the way there, reminding me of a previous visit. It was 'Driver 8' by REM, likely purely coincidence to hear it both times. Good song, as I like songs about trains, a reason why I like Johnny Cash music as well. Another notable one, heard on the way home, was 'Hands Clean' by Alanis Morrissette. Hard to explain why, maybe since it described well some of my family struggles. Honoring a request for silence, a powerful line. I still like how many answers can be found in music.

No comments:

Post a Comment