Saturday, July 10, 2010

Bastille Day Party

I went to a Bastille Day celebration tonight, I'm sure my high school French teacher would have been proud. Even found a way to mention Lady Gaga while there, saying how I liked that she sang part of 'Bad Romance" in French, much like ELO before her. The older woman next to me said she had heard OF her, just not her music. It was nice to hear some good music there, on a violin and an accordion. Also saw how the accordion player had a beret and striped shirt on, stereotypical French wear. I took 4 years of French in high school, but haven't had many chances to be around other francophones aside from some subtitled movies. I spoke of visiting Montreal, and New Orleans,  8 years ago, haven't been to Paris yet.  Also picked up a book about how America began in Paris, since France helped in the war against the British. There were some people playing petanque, but it didn't look right when the steel balls were thrown instead of rolled, but it was on a pebble surface instead of dirt.
    I had known for a while about being descended from Huguenots, something that my dad had told me since I was a kid. But he was only a good starting point, knowing about Paul Revere being a Huguenot. I read some obscure passage saying that Francis Marion was as well, when he heard about it he said 'the Swamp Fox', which made it easier to look up his biography. When I traveled to the Carolinas in April I did seek out memorials to Marion, and there were plenty in South Carolina, including his grave, part of the state park system. Why not? His guerrilla war tactics helped America win. One of these memorials was in the Huguenot church in Charleston, found this out when attending a service there. Trying to recall if my heritage was the reason for taking the class, I know how taking a foreign language looks great on a college application and there were just 2 options, the other being Spanish.
    I had meant to do an entry last night, but I fell asleep after getting back from a comedy show at an Irish pub and it was 2 a.m. by then and I just went back to sleep after shutting off the T.V. I got the invitation from Facebook, as I have plenty of comedian friends. I had been there once before, also due to Facebook. It reminded me a little of back in March when I got 3 invitations on the same night, had to turn down 2 of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment