Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tick Tock

It's typical of me to try to check voicemail on my cellphone at least once a day. When I did so today after work, and on the bus, it was from the apartment manager informing me of the showing today. It reminded me of how I am not renewing the lease but still need to get started on the search for another apartment. So when I got home I decided I needed to start looking online, or put another way, get my body in motion. Looks like there are plenty of places to choose from that fit my price range and the location I want, on a bus line and close to work. I even checked to see if my former home was available, where I lived for one year when I had just moved from Illinois, and it is. I plan on making it a high priority to get a lease signed soon, like this weekend. Some of these places do have weekend hours, making it easier for me. I want a larger place that is still affordable, allowing me to keep traveling every so often. Work should be slower for me on wednesday compared to the past two days, and it should allow me to call some of these places to confirm what is available. Some have deals like first month free, which is nice.
   Small crowd at the comedy club tonight, didn't see a bartender at first and the one server was really busy. I still liked getting noticed by many, it's a good feeling to have people know you.
   A notable event was this morning after riding the bus downtown, I was in the skyway and heard a nice song inside of a coffee shop. It was "The Story" by Brandi Carlile, and I was outside until near the end of the song when a security guard asked me to move on. I even said "I like the song" when asked what my business was there, reading a little in a book I bought recently about military forts in the northern plains states. Yes it must be a good song if I was willing to stay and listen to it, since I have the CD as well and can listen to it whenever I want to. But some songs really move me, and this is one of them. Though it also made me think of a story I had to read in English class in high school, don't recall what year. It was called "Repent, Harlequin!" about a master timekeeper called the "Ticktockman". He pulled Harlequin's cardioplate at the end as he had been late too many times, since the machines were so rigid and wanted people to keep moving that no variances were allowed. I'm amazed that it helped me recall this story, as it had been long forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment