Saturday, August 21, 2010

Volunteer Helper

I am still wearing a volunteer shirt from earlier today. Got up early on a Saturday morning, not typical for me, to help with the event. Went to a Walmart  a few miles away and it reminded me a lot of doing events through a mentoring program at my employer, mentoring a high school student. But these were younger, mine was 12 and entering 6th grade. I did get prepped for it by looking up the history on Wikipedia, I recall it was an organization mentioned in history class in high school. There were plenty of humanitarian organizations that sprung up in the 19th century, when there were many poor people in the cities that needed help. It said this one started in Great Britiain, and merged the ideas of a military with a Christian mission group. I've heard other organizations do this, like the Shriners using a Moslem (now Muslim or Islamic) theme for their fraternal organization, based on the terms they borrowed.
   It was quite an experience, as I hadn't shopped for clothes in a while, especially for somebody that age. It reminded me a little of doing so when I was young, though my family went to Sears, Wards, and JC Penney. It was where they had the credit cards. Looks like things have changed some, thought it was odd to see electronics being part of shirts, like MP3s and headphones. But he was able to get plenty with the $80 allotment, 11 items. I advised him to try on the shirts and pants and basketball shorts in the fitting rooms, didn't like the wait there. Also on his list was a Spanish-English dictionary, we found 2 types there, it was suprising as I expected he would have to look at a bookstore. The cheaper one was larger print, so I said he should get that one. We needed approval for it, even though it was on his list. We did talk some about ourselves, he said he plans on trying out for football. When I saw a Justin Bieber shirt nearby I said each generation needs a teen idol, he said he had to hear about him all the time. Guess that means he's bored with him, probably not alone on that one.
   There was plenty I got accomplished after it, like getting tickets for a baseball game in a few days as well as the state fair. Advance tickets for the fair are cheaper. Made it to a Walgreen to get a photo order dropped off, and visited a nearby pizza parlor for a lunch buffet. Plenty of gangster pictures on the wall, I like looking at the artwork at many places. As the evening began, it also meant getting new tires for my car as the front tires weren't passing the penny test. In the evening I did more record-keeping and watched a baseball game on TV. There is still some to do on Sunday but I like what I did get done. One big thing left is getting the last of my belongings out of the storage locker, as I said I wanted it to be just one month there.

No comments:

Post a Comment