Friday, August 13, 2010

Book Search

 Facebook can be a good thing at times. There was a comment thread about candidates for governor, and how both had played hockey. Suggestion was why not settle it on the ice? Then I said I knew one of them had been a goalie at Yale, but needed to find the book that mentioned it. I did, before going to a comedy show tonight.
    I had picked it up during a visit to Yale in 2004, saw a football game there vs. Lehigh. I like baseball and history, and the latter was why I decided to travel to New Haven. I was familiar with the contributions made to football by the school, thanks to their coach, Walter Camp. He devised many of the rules of the game still used today, and made football a truly American game. There were a few pages in the program about him, and some arches near the Yale Bowl, the stadium, honoring him. The stadium itself  is notable, on the National Register of Historic Places. It even was the home of an NFL team, the New York Giants, for 2 years in the 1970s. But the Giants were a horrible team then. It was a temporary home after leaving Yankee Stadium due to renovations, and before their New Jersey stadium was built.
   One of my comic friends thought it was a rather specific book, and it is. Though I explained how my 2 biggest interests are baseball and history, and many of the books I own are about those subjects.
    The comedy show was great, went because one of my favorite comics from open-mic nights was there. Looks like Saturday will be busy, with a baseball game. Need to do some more cleanup and organizing around the home as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment