Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ishmael

A new colleague of mine wrote down a name for me on a stickie today when we spoke about certain art forms. I spoke of 'Democracy in America' by Alexis de Tocqueville as he made wonderful observations about our society from an outsider's perspective. It made me think of how the TV show '3rd Rock From the Sun' was a fun show, since it did the same in a comedic format. I don't recall the full name given, but the first was 'Ishmael' where another writer did the same. For some reason I was thinking of the early books of the Bible, which spoke of somebody named Ishmael, as well as 'Moby Dick'.
   There are certain names that will make me pause for a while, today it was seeing the name 'Diaz' as it was the name of the H.R. person who hired me for my first job with this company, when I was still in suburban Chicago. And I recall how she said she couldn't bear to give me my walking papers when I was laid off, as I often was so thankful for the opportunity whenever I spotted her. I was informed how she has since retired. If I was in her shoes, I think I would have done the same- got somebody else to do it, would have been very hard to do.
   I did make it to the comedy club tonight, albeit late. I was tired after work, and after going through some more of my clothes to see what can go to a resale shop I did lay down and fell asleep for a while. But I felt better after waking up, which is the point. One of my friends had already been onstage by then, I would have liked seeing him perform. I did see another friend after the show, and he offered me advice about joke telling. Since he's a pro, and a friend that has the proper delivery of the message, I was paying attention and will do my best to adopt and adapt accordingly to get even better results. Wow, I sure did find a way to make the craft of comedy boring, is that possible?
   I found out telling people at work about where to find my blog wasn't a good idea, as it meant some of them did read it and the one comment received was anything but glowing. I would like more comments that say things like 'really like reading it, I can relate- or you describe things well'. I pretty much expected that the blog wouldn't be liked by everybody, and will be more careful about who I decide to talk about this blog to.

No comments:

Post a Comment