Saturday, September 18, 2010

Junk Mail

I did some shredding of junk mail, haven't done that in a while but it can be fun. Amazed at how much I can get at times. Many of them are from literary magazines or from colleges offering an MFA program since I belong to a literary center. I have taken some writing classes there.
   Went to another high school football game tonight, this one was at a nearby college. I have done a mentoring program through a local high school for the past 3 years, and they were playing there tonight. Emerson Hough would be proud that I was attending, as the school is called the Roosevelt "Teddies", named for his friend, the president. But Roosevelt lost 21-16. I was also wearing my Emerson Hough Huskies sweatpants tonight, since it was getting chilly. The Teddies were trailing 13-0 at halftime, and gave up an early touchdown in the second half, so it was an uphill battle for them. There were way too many penalties- by both teams- in the game, many of them dead ball infractions like illegal procedure and too many players. A team isn't fundamentally sound if making mistakes like these. An early touchdown was called back by a penalty.
   Made a deposit to my new savings account today, after having my change counted from what was being saved in a gallon beer can given to me by a college roommate. There was $6.76 in it, just over half of it was in pennies. Some people throw away pennies, I don't. Last time I checked, 100 pennies still equals a dollar and one can still buy things with a dollar.
   Went to a movie this afternoon, "Get Low", starring Robert Duvall. I liked the description in the paper, saying it was about a 'crusty backwoods curmudgeon'. Liked seeing Bill Murray in it as a funeral director, he can do some serious roles. I immediately thought of 'Cradle Will Rock', where he played a ventriloquist. I liked some observations made in it, about how people believe whatever they want to, and sometimes fill in the rest with rumor.

No comments:

Post a Comment