Sunday, September 12, 2010

Jesse James Festival

I went to the Jesse James festival in Northfield, Minn., today. I started going after sharing a plane ride with an econ instructor at one of the colleges there. It was Labor Day weekend 2007 and I said it was the only thing I knew about town. He said the festival was coming up. I like getting the button there, much like at many other festivals I attend. Notable about seeing the bank robbery reenactment was seeing a father boost his son onto his shoulders, he had a cowboy outfit on complete with toy guns. And when the shots rang out, probably blanks, I heard a kid crying, guess he hated the noise.
   It was nice to go down to the river and pause for a short time, I'm sure this sentiment has been in songs often, first one I think of is "Closer to Fine" by the Indigo Girls. It was nice to hear all of the music there, as I was paying attention. Early on I heard 'Poker Face' by Lady Gaga, later on 'Jackson' by Johnny Cash with his wife, June. Even heard a dulcimer, and the song was 'Jeanette Isabelle', one I sang in French class, including at nursing homes one Christmas. Seeing an MG Midget car reminded me of track star Steve Prefontaine, a determined man and I liked reading his story.
   I think Emerson Hough would have been proud I was there, since it celebrated Wild West history. And I thought of him as I bought a pencil sharpener, since it looks like a covered wagon, the name of one of his novels. Best to send the little blue vial to work, keep the covered wagon here. In case one gets stolen, it would matter less to me if it's the blue one. I think I've had it since art class in high school. One of the bookstores had a few older books I hadn't heard of before, like 'Talking to Myself' by Studs Terkel. I have 'Working', which covers nearly every occupation including hooker. Another one I saw was a Freud book, analyzing President Woodrow Wilson. I tried to see if Hough is mentioned in any of the the books there, by checking the index. He was in one, as a footnote. It was a book of Frederic Remington letters, one from Theodore Roosevelt speaking about western writers. It said Hough was known for frontier novels with historical fidelity and understanding of pioneer character. A high compliment, too bad only a few people still know who he is.
    I was a little annoyed about having to switch laundromats, found out the one I went to before wasn't so good. Went to do laundry after the festival, and all of the machines seemed to be broken or taken. Found this out late, after loading one, adding soap, and then the coins wouldn't go all the way through the slots. So I had to go farther down the road. One good thing about it was finding out about a Czech festival next weekend, the food drink and music should be good there. I noticed the building served as an honorary consulate, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
   I am still trying to continue my chat with an online match, after getting a response to my 'goodbye' message saying I had waited long enough for a response. Noticed I invited her on the wrong Messenger service, she said Yahoo not MSN. So I have now downloaded Yahoo Messenger. I just got so used to getting no responses that I figured she wasn't interested, but she is. So it was a little hasty of me. Since she responded I would like to try again with her, as there haven't been too many good offers lately. I get tired of some saying 'too old', she hasn't said this. I gave her another chance, must hope for the best. 
   At a comedy show tonight I said 'yep' and 'wow', and the comic said he was being heckled by WC Fields. Unsure if it was a compliment, but at least the reference wasn't lost on me, I've heard of him. But I wasn't trying to heckle.

No comments:

Post a Comment