Sunday, September 19, 2010

Renaissance Festival

I went to the Renaissance Festival today, after going to a Czech and Slovak festival before that. Didn't like how the line moved slowly for food and drink, but it was good once I got the food. The sausage was ground up and inside a tube, kind of like Pella ring bologna from when I was a kid. Don't claim that ancestry, to the best of my knowledge, but I like festivals and I like history. I did become more familiar with the regions of these 2 nations, like Bohemia and Moravia being part of the Czech Republic. I know 'bohemian' now often means 'artist', likely due to plenty of artisans being from there.
   I did one thing I was really proud of at the Renaissance Festival, doing the bungee cord trampoline. I had lost enough weight in the past year where I was eligible again. I said it was nice to let loose and scream a lot while in the harness. I said the same about the first time I had done it, at the Taste of Minnesota a few years back. I've said 'why not?' more often now, as life is too short- go try things and have fun. Also did the elephant ride, like before. Both of these things require trust, and it is a helpful way of building trust. A coworker did the Robin Hood show again, as Little John.
   Some would think I am an odd person, or one who gets bored or sidetracked on the weirdest things. Might be true. I am referring to noticing a hole in a sweatshirt I was wearing tonight while at the comedy club, so I started working on the hole and made it bigger, along with ripping off the cuffs from the sleeves. It was an Iowa Hawkeye sweatshirt I've had for quite a while, bought at a Hy-Vee grocery store less than a year after graduation. It was part of my normal weekly grocery order when I was living in West Des Moines,Iowa. That apartment was small, but it was MINE so I liked it. I was reminded of it again when I saw the pictures on the Anna Nalick CD 'Wreck of the Day', as it looked a lot like that apartment, guess she was going for the starving artist look. I knew I had another Hawkeye sweatshirt, but it was one a few years older and bought in college at the campus bookstore. It had a special meaning to me when I chose it for the number on it, my football number. But it was getting ratty as well, even though I couldn't bear to throw it out. I ended up ripping up both and tossing the remains in the trash. Despite eliminating 2 sweatshirts, I still have too many. This includes jerseys as well, like hockey and baseball jerseys. Meaning, ones I don't wear much or even knew I had. I like the one I am wearing now, it was an Alamo Bowl sweatshirt likely given to one of the the players. I was a classmate-from high school- of the older brother of one of the players, so it may have been his as that friend gave it to me. So I still have one Hawkeye sweatshirt in the bureau drawer. Hopefully it will inspire me at some point soon to go through my clothing and donate some of it to Goodwill. As the saying goes, if you haven't used it in a while you probably don't need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment