Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Dating Woes

I closed two matches tonight in my online dating profile, I usually prefer it when somebody quits me first. But I've learned to quit something- or somebody- when I'm not having a good time. Nothing worse than wasted time or money. I like officially ending it with a 'goodbye' message- makes no difference whether or not they read it fully. It is I that definitely needs closure when it's over by declaring it. One of them gave me their email address, and said she wanted to see pictures even though I had more on my profile than she did. And she kept reminding me how she has a daughter, saying it once is enough. It tells me I will likely always be way too low on her priority list, so I'm not interested. She also failed to answer my question about what subjects she wants to teach, a relevant question. I find that starting off with the question about their line of work does weed out some nutjobs. If they fail to answer there's a character flaw, and I don't want it contaminating my life. For some readers, it may sound cold, for others, smart. No one else is going to look out for number one! And I'm not running a charity here, I'm looking for a partner.
   There's the ranting about one, now here's the other, a complete surprise how she was correct. We had been matched up before. It was a year and a half earlier, I figured the site would know well enough to avoid this. There must have been something wrong with her since I noticed I closed the match 2 weeks after we were matched, hard to say what since it was a while ago. She said we had chatted before, and said it didn't go well. Since she was stuck in this thought, wanting to be right, I decided it was pointless to continue. Based on her profile, there were some red flags. Calling herself a 'smart butt', for one thing. and setbacks on weight loss. I've learned that a bad attitude all too often is a common side effect for overweight people. I learned back in grade school how attitude makes the difference, and it means avoiding malcontents. Usually the way I narrow the field is by finding out who puts some effort into it. If they fail to post a photo or respond to my messages, not interested. I figured my success rate would be higher, but I can't make people respond to messages or post photos. So far my success rate of just meeting an online match is 1 in 250!
   I'm trying to keep learning lessons here, and it means avoidance of being jaded. I felt good about a new match contacting me first, with an icebreaker. Will have to see how it plays out. And I did get 2 email addresses of some decent matches from the free communication weekend. I sent messages to both already.
   Yes, it was a busy day at work, usually is the day after a holiday. It was even busier since one colleague was out, so I had to step in and fill the void, but I told my boss how I like being a 'role player'. What really made my day was seeing one of my favorite comics as MC at the open-mic show tonight! He gave me the typical left-handed greeting, this time 'look what the cat dragged in'. I said that was an album by the band Poison, something he was familiar with as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment