Thursday, September 30, 2010

Dialing In

I did a dial-in meeting to start off a mentoring program with a nearby high school today. It will be my 4th year in the program, which includes mostly exchanging emails with my student but also a few in-person visits. I like some of the events they have planned, like seeing a Shakespeare play and attending a pro basketball game. It had been a while since I had used headphones so I needed a referesher course, wanted to stay hands free so I could get other things done like some of my normal duties. I prefer doing things besides a meeting over my lunch, so it wasn't during the time when I was logged off for lunch.
   I heard about a former coworker getting married due to a Facebook posting. I said I was happy for them, as it's good karma to be happy for others. This is somebody who is in my 'ring of honor', pictures in my home, friends from school and work.
   Hard to know what to say about the online dating venture, since I often describe it to confidants as 'languishing'. There is another match reaching email stage soon, one of her questions was if I was fine with her doing rodeo. I said I was, since I had seen rodeos when I was a kid and even a few in recent years. My guess is that it scares off many men as these men feel emasculated around empowered women. My response was one must do what they love and love what they do. So we will have to see how well it goes, as the success rate of even meeting matches that get as far as email stage still isn't all that high.

No comments:

Post a Comment