Friday, September 10, 2010

Saw 'Wicked'

After work, I saw the play "Wicked" tonight. I knew little about it aside from it being inspired by 'Wizard of Oz'. I liked the telling of the fall from grace story, reminding me of Darth Vader from 'Star Wars' or the villains on 'Batman'. I liked how it was also an 'Odd Couple' story, between the two witches. It was kind of long, with the intermission nearly three hours. It took a while to get out of the parking ramp after the show, decided to shut off my engine and park for a while instead of hearing my car's engine idling, and possibly running out of gas. I may have been a little under-dressed, though I was wearing what I wear to the office. But the women were wearing nice dresses, including the woman next to me who had fishnet stockings on as well. I also noticed the woman in front of me and the top she was wearing, a part was cut out of the back and some of her bra straps were showing. I would much rather be comfortable than fashionable, fashion still puzzles me. I like that quote about how fashion must be an ugly business, it seems to change every 6 months.
  As for what I said about fuel, it was on my mind so I did stop at a station before going very far. Didn't want to run out at night, especially when it was wet. Sometimes when I see one I say "It's an oasis" and then sing an Oasis song, usually 'Live Forever', a catchy song, but not tonight and don't know why.
    Before getting home I stopped at a convenience store. Had to chuckle a little to myself when I noticed the customer in front of me was buying condoms. What, didn't have the quarters to get them out of the bathroom? This of course begs the question: what was I doing at a convenience store late at night? A rather boring thing, getting apple juice and a peanut bar. Didn't have food or drink at the play, but before it. Also noticed a shopping cart near my home, so I ran it across the street to the grocery store. Guess it was my good deed for the day. I'm thinking Emerson Hough would have been proud that I saw the play, as he had worked with 'Wizard of Oz' author L. Frank Baum. One line in the play happened to be the same as one of Hough's books, 'Hearts Desire', likely purely coincidental.
    I decided to tweak my online dating profile some more, changing the wording here and there and may want to add a few more photos as well but there are five already. At lunch today I went outside and it felt good to walk around downtown to get to a Walgreen for a few small items. In a walkway near the store was a hot dog stand, need to put it on my list to get lunch there sometime soon while the weather still allows it. I like going to those places while on vacation in a big city, as it's a quick lunch. Next to it I heard a beautiful song, "As I Lay Me Down To Sleep" by Sophie B. Hawkins. It was a hit more than a decade ago, I liked it since it mentions sleep. I listened to it again tonight on Youtube after the play, and noticed it mentions trains. When I think of my time living in northwest suburban Chicago, I miss the CTA el-trains. About a year after moving, I took a vacation in New York City and saw a subway train near Shea Stadium and hearing it rumbling I said it sounded like a lullaby to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment