Tuesday, September 28, 2010

NFL Player Deaths

I had heard last night how the great George Blanda has died, he set some records for longevity in the NFL, playing for over 20 years. I had read about him in a book when I was in grade school. We celebrate those things, and people, who stand the test of time. It's because not everything can, or will.
   Also recently, I had heard about the death of Kenny McKinley, the Denver Broncos player. It was tough to hear about his tragic death, as he committed suicide. I was riveted by an article I found online about how many players refuse help even though it's readily available. They have the 'warrior mentality' which means they prefer to avoid showing chinks in the armor. It's tough to be in the league, and what was written was true when you think about it a little. It's a  job where people follow you around with a camera and there's the intense pressure for results. I know what it's like to be prideful, wanting to go it alone, but I usually would let people help me if it was offered.
   The team banner went up today by my boss's cube, though some of the hand prints are upside down. At least we're doing something together as a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment