Friday, July 8, 2011

The Last Mountain

Saw the movie 'Last Mountain' at the Lagoon in Minneapolis tonight, a documentary about the coal industry, especially in West Virginia. RFK Jr. was in it, as he is director of an environmental organization. It was mentioned how he went to jail for a month for his cause. Would have liked seeing mention of John L. Lewis in it as he was leader of the United Mine Workers, an Iowa native. Also thought of the song about coal mining  from the 1970s I think, I think it was about Peabody Coal. Plenty of information in it, worth watching. I knew well enough to see it early since I looked at my schedule and said I may not have any time to see it if I didn't go tonight since these arthouse movies have a way of not lasting long, sometimes just a week. I like eating at the Popeye's Chicken in Uptown near the theater, so I ate there before the movie. I like reminders of New Orleans and Cajun food is a big one.
   After some pondering, I decided to make a contribution to a memorial fund for Bobbi McCrea, the B&B owner who died in the fire in New Ulm recently. I wrote about my visits to New Ulm so it was the main reason for contributing, especially since I hadn't stayed there and probably hadn't met her though the obit said she had plenty of community involvement. It was sent to the Wanda Gag house, I had toured the house before, the girlhood home of a children's book writer, best known for 'Millions of Cats'.
   This was a notable day for me, as it means I've had my current car for 8 years, longer than any other I've owned. I had one for 6 1/2 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment