Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Green Line To Fanfest

     I went to the All-Star Game fan-fest today, the last day. Even though I live in the Twin Cities I did like having the green line painted on the pavement leading people between the stadium and the convention center. I took light rail to downtown Minneapolis and then saw it. I arrived just before midday and decided to go to the block party and see some of the parade before going to the fan-fest. I got a drawstring bag at the block party. I didn't like the options given on food and drink, it was on the ticket system. So I found my way to the Walgreen on Nicollet and got a sandwich there. Hard to do when there was a big crowd wanting to see the parade. I got the 'Welcome' greeting and then said I was there to get a quick lunch, and found it in the back of the store right after that. Also got some bottled water and peanut butter crackers. I saw the part where the Chevy trucks were lined up before going over to the hotel where each All-Star player got in. Since it progressed slowly I saw no need to see the entire parade. It left me more time at the fan-fest. I also got pictures of the 10 Charlie Brown and Snoopy statues across the street from the convention center. I walked around for a while wanting to take everything in. I did get my own baseball card, I now have three, one from each fan-fest I have attended. I got annoyed with somebody who was trying to help point out where I needed to go sign a waiver, I even said I didn't like being pushed along. Found out he wasn't even a staff member. I know well enough by now to get over these things fairly quickly. It helped to talk to some young men about our shared interest in baseball who were behind me in line while waiting for our turn for photos. I also got photos from Scotts lawn care, and Budweiser. The latter was a pledge to avoid drunk driving. I saw some of my fellow comics while there, one of them was the airport bartender. I liked all of the free souvenirs available, including a baseball from Chevrolet. And I caught a Softee ball thrown into the crowd before the parade began. Others were inexpensive, like a postcard of the Metrodome that mentions the 1985 All-Star Game, it was a dollar. And a Homer Hanky from the Minneapolis paper was two dollars. Naturally I liked seeing Charlie brown baseball cards available, I got two and will keep one of them at the office.
   After getting home I did the typical going through email, but I wasn't home for long as I wanted to get to the comedy club. Good lineup, I knew many of the performers. The preschool teacher did one about a Huck Finn outfit, the song 'Down by the bay', and a caterpillar book. The Perkins employee (though he recently said he quit the job) did one about an Amelia Earhart haircut. Others were about his mom playing a CD, orphan envy, a family cruise, and a park wedding in South Dakota. The red-faced comic did one about is she working? Others were about 'I'm not dead yet' shirts, and Red Bull vs. cocaine. The software developer did ones about a Yanni concert and being in therapy. The Hillary Clinton look-alike did one about a match on OK Cupid. Others were about meeting with her boss, a Brazilian wax, and a T-Mobile coverage map. The bathtub comic did one about flooding at Valleyfair. Others were about a destroyed bird nest, calling an electrician, and an escaped zoo animal.
The 'Extra murder' comic did one about matching names. Others were about a food truck fair, a donut burger, and a lethal ingestion. A comic that does a joke about 'Exorcising demons' also did one about being in grocery delivery. Another was about shampoo at a dollar store.

No comments:

Post a Comment