Sunday, July 27, 2014

Joe Movie, Nicolas Cage

     I went to McDonald's in the afternoon and got a Redbox movie, 'Joe', starring Nicolas Cage. There were some things about the movie that reminded me of others, like 'Mud' and 'Winter's Bone'. All of these had a backwoods setting. So it made some sense when the previews included those two movies. I really liked 'Winter's Bone'. I don't know how many movies I have seen that Cage was in, I know I liked 'Con Air'. It was a movie I wanted to see at theaters, but didn't get around to it. I had a large postcard I had picked up from the theater to remind me. The main part of the storyline was a teenager who starts working for Joe, played by Cage. The boy is a hard worker and very mature for his age. Joe takes him under his wing, and acts more like a dad than his real dad, who is a drunk. The closing credits said it was filmed in four different cities in Texas, one of those was Austin and the others were towns I hadn't heard of. I liked seeing some of the special features, like how it was based on a novel by Larry Brown. I liked the interview with the book writer, he said the main complaint about his writing is that it is brutal. I liked his response, where he said his writing is also honest.
    I got caught up on some things today, like cleaning out one of my refrigerator drawers. I keep things like empty potato chip bags in there and eventually throw them out after writing down what I have eaten, periodically. I hadn't done it in a while, I counted 170 oatmeal packs so it likely had been four months. No surprise how it proved my eating habits had changed, as there were some Quaker Oats granola bar wrappers in there. I stopped buying them after seeing the food documentary 'Fed Up' in May. The changes have worked, as I have lost some of the weight I wanted to lose.
   Before I picked up the Redbox movie, I went to the Family Dollar store. I got some Lance 'Nekot'
cookies with peanut butter, as well as a CD, 'Music that inspired Fahrenheit 9/11', a documentary movie by Michael Moore. There is a Pearl Jam song on it. I know these aren't necessarily the same songs that were in the movie, since I recall the closing song being 'Rocking in the free world' by Neil Young and Young's son is not on this CD. I heard an employee say she was stupid not crazy, then she corrected herself and reversed it. In one aisle I was a little surprised by hearing a voice saying 'Excuse me', I said to the employee it must be the doll on the top shelf.
   In the evening I watched two 'Simpsons' episodes and then took a walk around the neighborhood. One I had seen before, where Homer looked forward to a 4th of July fireworks show and Bart is a coward during a race as he doesn't help Milhouse. I wrote about it before, as one line was 'Wrong holiday, Charlie Brown'. The second I hadn't seen before, it was when Homer helped deliver a baby in an elevator and then acts like a dad to the baby since it is named for him. The mom is a neighbor to a poker-playing friend of his. Lisa is picked as a junior cheerleader for the local football team and helps them with organizing as a labor union. In the closing credits they have a home pregnancy test as one of the things the cheerleaders endorse.

No comments:

Post a Comment