Thursday, July 31, 2014

Walking On Sunshine Song

  At work there was an IPO celebration, we saw the CEO ring the bell on TV at the New York Stock Exchange. We were given a gray shirt with a collar, and during this time they were playing the song 'Walking on sunshine' by Katrina and The Waves. I found out from the Wikipedia article it is also the name of the album it is from, and a movie. I know it from being in the movie 'Look who's talking' and in an episode of 'Cold case'.
    I kept saying there was too much activity today, as I didn't like being rushed along in the morning and I said I needed to get stamped in. I saw an underwriting supervisor on the way in and I spoke of how I just wanted to come back later for the giveaways, but pretty much wasn't allowed to. I said 'That didn't go according to plan', and she laughed. Usually I am allowed to, especially if it is just food and drink. I care a lot about stamping in on time. I was also rushing a little to get back from my lunch hour for two group photos. One was outside our building in downtown St. Paul, the other was inside it in the lobby. It did lead to some excitement as I got on an elevator that must have been too full. We dropped a little and weren't going anywhere, at least not very fast. We called security, and then the doors opened on second floor and all got out. Half of us decided to get back in, I was in the half that didn't. We waited for another elevator to get back to our floor. I could tell I was not alone on looking a little dour, as I said this to a colleague I may have  written about before who wears an extra-small winter coat. Besides the shirt we also got a drawstring bag with a tall 'Go-cup' in it,  as well as a mouse pad that smelled so fresh it reminded me of a tire store. We got what looked like a deck of playing cards, but looking inside they were meant to be interlocking puzzle pieces.            
     We did get catered food from a Greek place, the pita bread and chicken and salad all tasted good. There was little cupcakes as well. During lunchtime I went out to a celebration at Park Square theater nearby, about their new season. I got a little cupcake there with purple frosting as one of their plays this year is 'Color Purple'. I also bought another item at the card shop liquidation sale, it was some wall art. When I was getting it home on the bus an older man asked me what the picture was. I quickly showed it and said 'Snoopy', and 'I like Snoopy'. He was wearing a camouflage jacket and a Vikings hat. I knew it wouldn't be a chore getting it home as it is much smaller than the framed 'Rain Man' movie poster I got at another liquidation sale.
    This evening I went to the St. Paul Saints game as it was German night. The Saints lost to the Wichita Wing-nuts, 9-3. Wichita got 6 runs in the 2nd, and 1 in the 3rd. The Saints got on the board with one in the 5th. Both teams scored 2 in the 8th, for the 9-3 final. The scoreboard and light towers went out in the bottom of the 1st and were out for 2 innings. This of course made it harder to follow the game. I was next to a woman who said she was an ESL teacher at Anoka/Hennepin Middle School. She spotted somebody she knew there and they talked for a while near the end of the game, into the fireworks show as well. Her friend said her two sons were batboys tonight. This was game number 6 for me this year, and I hope to make it to 4 more in August.
   When I got home from the Saints baseball game I dealt with some more online dating aggravation. I saw two messages waiting in my email account, from the same match. One of them said the match wanted to skip to email, the other was how my first five questions were answered. I was a little excited about the request to skip to email, but this faded quickly. The message said 'Met someone else, best of luck to you'. Not the first time I heard it but it still stings a lot, and might still sting for a little while. I know well enough to bounce back quickly from these things, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it one bit having to do so. I closed the match, figured there was nothing else to do. Also odd that the match said 'Was going to ask about their date, we could be siblings'. This is meaningless for me to hear. It does make me think of a song, 'Goodbye says it all' by Blackhawk. Just about every human emotion has been captured in song. Where do I go from here? Well I think the advice from the big dog is still helpful, he asked me: 'What else are you going to do, quit?' This is still not a viable option for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment