Saturday, July 5, 2014

Obvious Child Movie

   This afternoon I went to a movie, 'Obvious Child', at the Lagoon in Minneapolis. I had seen it being promoted at the comedy club, which is what they normally do with comedian movies, as one must think of their target audience. I saw it as being a realistic portrayal of stand-up comedy, including and especially the graffiti in the bathroom. I was familiar with how the movie deals with the subjects of an unplanned pregnancy and abortion in it before attending. As a member of Planned Parenthood I no doubt support having their services being made available. I liked seeing Richard Kind in it as the dad to the main character, Donna. I recalled how he was on the TV show 'Spin City'. It takes place in New York City, like many other movies do. I liked seeing a book shop as part of the storyline. At first I didn't understand the title of the movie, but this was answered while watching the closing credits. I said I thought one song sounded like it was performed by Paul Simon, and it was. He has a song called 'Obvious Child' listed in the credits. No real surprise how I enjoyed the previews as well, three in particular. One was about Yves St. Laurent, another was called 'Boyhood' and Ethan Hawke is in it. A third has Jim Parsons in it, Sheldon from 'Big Bang Theory'. It is called 'Wish I was there' or something close to this. And I saw plenty of advertising cards in the lobby, including for 'Venus in Fur', directed by Roman Polanski. I had seen the play version, nearby at Jungle Theater.
   I went to the movie after checking email and printing a few things at the library. After the movie I noticed the Rainbow Foods in Uptown, near the theater, had signs up about half-off on some items. And another posting said they would be closing Sunday and then re-opening a few days later. So I got two items, a mixed fruit cup and a block of Monterey Jack cheese. I expected both to be half-off, but just the fruit was. I ate the fruit right away, just outside the store, without a spoon and not using my fingers, almost drank them. I saw two markers or plates on the wall there, about how there was a hockey venue on that site. One did mention the Minneapolis Millers, this was not just the name of a minor league baseball team but also a minor league hockey team. Since I had the cheese with me I decided I needed to go home and unload, the rest of my errand running could wait. When I went out again it was to get a new shower curtain at Target, since mine was starting to tear. Also got a pack of 100 assorted baseball cards there. A notable card in this pack was a Cap'n Crunch card, Cal Ripken was on it. I know sometimes baseball cards are inside cereal boxes, sometimes I bought the cereal because of the cards. Another notable card was about the movie '8 Men Out', about the Black Sox scandal. Charlie Sheen was on the card as he plays one of the White Sox players.
    My other two stops were in Roseville. One was at Little Caesar's to get a pizza and this visit will get me more airline miles since I am now a member of the Delta Airlines dining program. In the same plaza I saw a Family Dollar store, a big sign said a liquidation sale was in progress. I got a 4-pack of toilet paper, not on sale but still cheaper than getting one roll a time at Walgreen. When I got home I turned on the TV and tried to watch the baseball game on Fox, Orioles vs. Red Sox. But at first I spent some time hanging the shower curtain and then getting the cards into binders, so I didn't pay much attention right away. I know the Orioles were trailing until they had a 4-run inning, aided by some Red Sox errors. The announcers did say it was the second game of a day-night doubleheader, since a game was rained out the previous day. Then I did the dishes, watched the news, and got groceries.     

No comments:

Post a Comment