Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Circle Of Heat Concert

    Tonight I went to the Circle of Heat concert at the Cabooze in Minneapolis. This is the band that opera singer is in. Before departing I went to a gas station as I had a craving for some chips, got a little bag of Doritos Cool Ranch. Odd that it said two for a dollar, they tried to charge me 69 cents for one- the nearby grocery store would have done just 50. I threatened to leave without buying anything, so they sold it for 50 cents. Wow, the things people do to make a sale.
   I liked getting some pictures while there of the venue, one was of the sign outside that shows who is playing tonight. I had been there once before, to see Social Distortion. I was carded and stamped, then was told the entry-way was a railroad caboose. I hadn't really noticed this before, but on my previous visit the concert was outdoors. I also got some photos of the tin railroad signs used as decoration. Many of them were railroads from the Midwest region we are in like the Burlington Northern and the Chicago North-Western. Another was the band's toy wooden soldier, next to the merchandise table. opera singer appeared to be front-man, he is a keyboardist. There were some life-sized portraits on the walls of notable musicians, in my photo of the CNW railroad sign there is one of Elvis Presley in the background.
  I recognized some of the songs the band played, since they were covers. This included 'Same as it ever was' by the Talking Heads, and 'Let's Get it On' by Marvin Gaye. He said he was playing this one as it was in honor of Valentines Day, which is in a few days. Another one I liked hearing must have been one of their original songs, which said 'settle down and do it'. There was cheap keg beer available, two dollars a cup. The opening act played all instrumental songs, this was fine with me buit I am used to hearing mostly songs with lyrics to them. The guitarist from this band later played in opera singer's band, and between acts I liked saying to him how I liked his intense guitar playing. it reminded me of Big Head Todd playing all the way down where the neck meets the body of the guitar, he said he likes playing the entire neck. Opera singer also did a song with the opening act. I did get a copy of the band's CD from opera singer, and will listen to it when I have the time. I could tell he really liked seeing me there, must be a case of some others not making it. I also liked how he helped me a little with my entertainment knowledge. I have noticed the similarities between stand-up comedy and music, as they are often performed at the same venues and one is expected to write your own material and interact with the crowd in both. But he reminded me what some of the notable differences were- in music, one must lug around equipment, and split profits with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment