Sunday, February 1, 2015

Still Alice Movie

      At midday I went to see the movie 'Still Alice' at the Uptown theater in Minneapolis. I started this a while back, seeing an early showing of a movie on Super Bowl Sunday as a way of staying busy  before the game began. This is currently the only theater in the metro area showing it, even though it has been nominated for Oscars. I will admit at times it was hard to watch, since it is about the main character dealing with a diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease. I was interested in watching it because this character was played by Julianne Moore. I have liked many of the movie roles she has done, dating back to ones like in 'The Fugitive', where she had a small role. What I do like about drama movies is the passion in them, and there is enough passion in this one. As a Charlie Brown and Snoopy fan I liked seeing one of her daughters wearing a Snoopy shirt, this is the one pursuing an acting career. I needed multiple looks at it, but it appears the shirt said 'Sometimes the donut dunks the bird' as it was Snoopy commenting about Woodstock being in the coffee mug. Aside from Alec Baldwin, who played her husband, I really didn't know the other actors all that well. One thing I hated having to do was get up during the movie and go to the bathroom, but I waited as long as I could. I know I didn't miss much as I made sure to be quick about it and got back before the scene had ended, where Alice was talking to a daughter on Skype. The closing credits said it was a work of fiction, another credit said it was based on a novel. I also noticed Maria Shriver in the closing credits, as a producer if I am not mistaken. This of course means the story is much different from the documentary I saw late last year about musician Glen Campbell having the disease. But that doesn't mean it was any easier to watch. Both were worth seeing, because they are compelling stories. I agreed with Alice when she said people are more accepting of cancer as a disease.
   After the movie I got a lunch at Super-America, roller grill items and some Pringles chips. Then it was on to Cheapo Records, reminding myself of wanting to go there to check what CDs they had for the band Babes In Toyland. They did have the one I wanted, called 'Fontanelle', their best seller. I also picked up a Rihanna CD, but it was hard to decide after getting it down to two. I went with 'Good girl gone bad', as it has 'Umbrella' on it. I do recognize some other titles on this one, and I am interested in the last title, 'If I never see your face again', with Maroon 5. She is known for doing plenty of collaboration songs. This was why it was hard to decide which one, as the other CD had songs she did with Eminem, and Nicki Minaj. On my next visit to Uptown to see a movie, more likely to be the Lagoon, I can see about getting the other one. Especially when I don't think I have anything yet by Nicki Minaj. There were some of her CDs there but I think about volume, and I don't pay more than $10 for a CD at Cheapo that often. I did today for the Babes In Toyland CD, but I really wanted it and I knew they didn't have that one at the St. Paul location.
   When I got home I unloaded some things and was on the road again, this time to do laundry as I wanted to finish it before the Super Bowl started- and I did. I got home with my finished laundry just before 5pm and had most of it put away before kickoff at 5:30. I liked how it was a close game, as I know this is not the case all the time. It had been dubbed 'The super bore' or 'Subpar bowl' by some for this reason. New England beat Seattle 28-24, after trailing by 10 at one point in the second half. It was tied at 14 at the half, there was no scoring in the first quarter. So there still hasn't been a shutout or overtime game in the Super Bowl's history, although they've come close a few times on both. I did like some of the commercials, usually known as the best ones all year. It was many of the typical categories- cars, beer, and snack foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment