Friday, February 17, 2017

a horse called music, willie nelson

a friend shared a song on facebook and I liked what I heard. it was 'a horse called music' by willie nelson, and featuring merle haggard. it is a little mournful, about a lost love, but I don't mind. the song does mention montana, and this friend I understand lives there now. the video has a western theme, and shows willie riding a horse in a dusty town to a church. and this church happens to have a sign saying willie is 'scheduled to appear' there. it continues on to show indoor scenes, with cardboard cutouts of john wayne and gene autry. the old western films being shown also seem to include roy rogers. the montana theme includes mention of 'boston to bozeman', and this friend is listed as living in Bozeman. lyrics like 'better to just let it slide' and 'a horse he calls memories', both about the lost love, are brilliant. I do like metaphors, and the horse names of 'music' and 'memories' are good metaphors. according to Wikipedia, this song is from the album of the same name, from 1989. I do like this pairing of country music 'outlaws', willie and merle. with the older country music I do like the 'outlaws' more, including johnny cash and hank Williams. since they handle raw emotion well in their songs.
    at the office I liked getting recognition for the 'how-to' article. one of these people was the man with the master's in political science. it was published earlier today in our newsletter, called 'news to know'. in other issues, we are moving right along with the sale project. most of the accounts have now been found. there are not many pages left, after starting out with 70.
    after getting off the bus in the early evening I knew there were various things that I wanted to get done. I picked up a ticket for a play in Bloomington, I am going to the Saturday performance. I had seen just two plays before there I think, 'you're a good man Charlie brown' and 'guys and dolls'. I wanted to do a dry run to see that I could find the venue on event night. then I went to eat the Chicago hot dog place. I also made it to the nearby cooper's grocery store and bought some items that were in the discount rack. one of them wasn't discounted, microwave popcorn, but I wanted it anyway as it had a free night code for a redbox rental. then I knew I needed to get more reservations made for the upcoming annual visit to Chicago-land. before tonight, I just had the plane ticket ordered. but now I have the hotel reservation, rental car, and hockey game ticket. I am still trying to figure out what works in other areas. haven't seen the Shedd Aquarium in a while, and it has been promoted at wolves hockey games before. the other would be opportunities for performing. it may mean going to the same open-mic as last year, but I am not picky about stage time. and I narrowed the list of karaoke venues to look at, in the northwest suburbs near where I once lived. of course it means letting a former office colleague know about it that would like to see me perform. it will be kind of nice to see somebody I know for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment