Monday, February 20, 2017

I am mine, pearl jam

over the weekend I got another CD at cheapo, it was 'riot act' by pearl jam. I listened to it in my car tonight while driving to and from the comedy clubs. there was just one song on it that really caught my attention, it was 'I am mine'. I watched the video on youtube, but it was a simple one of them performing the song and not the typical video which would be considered a 'mini-movie'. there are some brilliant lyrics in it, although this is not the first time where I have noticed that frontman eddie vedder can be unintelligible. I liked 'I know I was born and I know that I will die, the in between is mine, I am mine'. other standouts to me were 'all the innocence lost at one time' and 'I only own my mind'. the Wikipedia article said it was written in response to the june 2000 Roskilde festival tragedy in Denmark where 9 fans were crushed to death while the band was playing. so this explains some of the lyrics, like the part about innocence. and the existential parts like the 'born and die' line. it appears that this was the biggest hit single from the album. I now have seven studio albums by pearl jam, and I think the next one to get is 'yield'. the others are singles or a live album. I like having 'live on tow legs' as this was from the 1998 tour, where I drove up in a rental car from suburban Chicago, just over a month after moving from Iowa, to see them at alpine valley, WI. and there is a thumbnail of the 'Chicago and Troy' poster from the tour in the CD packaging. among many other posters from this tour. of course I saw them again at the same venue in 2003, when 'I am mine' was a fairly new song.
   I did try getting another CD at target, but I hardly ever pay full price for them now. so getting 'joanne' by lady gaga, or 'revolution radio' by green day will have to wait. I did get a DVD, it was Charlie brown and snoopy comic strips that are now animated. two discs are included.
   I liked getting plenty of small things done on this presidents day holiday, like getting more stamps onto a page from e-bay order envelopes as I like collecting them. more junk mail was shredded as well. and I took a walk around the neighborhood, and it yielded more than a dollar in change from various places that went into my change bank.
   at the performance venue, I did ones about internet dating, a posting about the holiday, a call from dad, a ticket salesman, arby's, the 'bad dates' play, and the spire credit union meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment